• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Tranplanner does Ottawa (was Gtc#89)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Ottawa???

Hint: It must at least be in Canada, because the A-frame sign in the foreground is advertising poutine.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm with mendelman, looks like the market in ottawa.

I expect you are tricking us.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
No tricks, it is indeed Ottawa. I tried to pick the most anonymous photo I had from my recent trip...

Here's your prize - a real Ottawa delicacy. Think Donut, without the hole, smeared with your choice of topping (nutella is my fav).

Mmm Mmm - that's good eating!

19beavertail-med.jpg

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Poutine is heaven drenched in gravy, a salve to stressed-out planners, and a danger to dieters everywhere.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Plannerbabs said:
Poutine is heaven drenched in gravy, a salve to stressed-out planners, and a danger to dieters everywhere.
Hummm, I thought 'poutine' was French for 'pontang.'.....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
A compliation of my recent visit to Ottawa over the Simcoe Day long weekend.

Looking towards the new US Embassy on Sussex Drive:
19street1-med.jpg
Byward Market Area:
19market1-med.jpg
19market2.jpg
19market3-med.jpg 19market6-med.jpg 19market7-med.jpg
Sparks Street Mall:
19mall-med.jpg 19buskers-med.jpg 19lion-med.jpg
Confederation Square:
19Consq-med.jpg 19Eastblock-med.jpg
Peacekeeper Memorial (National Gallery in Background)
19Gallery-med.jpg
Rideau Mall
19Downtown1-med.jpg
Confederation Building:
19conbldg-med.jpg
Rideau Canal (looking North)
19canalview-med.jpg
(looking South)
19chateau-med.jpg
19Canal-med.jpg
Tourist Centre (my wife hates having her picture taken)
19tourist-med.jpg
Ottawa Transit:
Tunney's Pasture Transitway Station - under repair
19Transitway-med.jpg
OC Transpo Articulated New Flyer Bus (low floor)
19OCbus-med.jpg
STO (Hull) Transit GM Classic Bus entering Ottawa
19STObus-med.jpg
"O" Train Diesel LRT - Awesome!
19Otrain.jpg
Reversible HOV lane on Champlain Bridge (cyclist is not using the bike lane!)
19champlain.jpg
Right turns on Red are now legal in Quebec (sauf Montreal) - "Je pense pietons" is the public awareness campaign for drivers
19pietons-med.jpg
What's a visit to Ottawa without a performance by the RCMP Musical Ride?
19musicalride-med.jpg
The real thing:
19mountie.jpg
That's all!
19peace.jpg

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am always struck by the glaring differences between the old and newer architecture, such as in the third photo. The old buildings are human-scaled and inviting, compared with the drab bulk of the parking garage and office building behind it.

Plan Man

Cyburbian
You should see the plans for the expansion of Ottawa's rapid transit system - both the rapid bus system and the rapid transit system. The latter looks to be very impressive in scope, from east to west, from south to north, several lines. The current Light Rail transit was only a pilot project and went over very well. The intention is to have all of the future LRT lines electrical, not diesel-based. I will enjoy watching the plans unfold over the next twenty years, that is if the funding comes...

It looks like you had a good time in Ottawa, and hopefully the gray in the pictures was your camera, and not the weather.

Ahhhh, Poutine - cheese curds and gravy smothered over french fries (and usually including a free triple by-pass surgery).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Third picture down *after the winner* far right... that chick must be from the south some place. That is looks like a Columbia ski coat. It can't be that cold there; most of the people don't even have coats on.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Plan Man said:

It looks like you had a good time in Ottawa, and hopefully the gray in the pictures was your camera, and not the weather.
I had an awesome time in Ottawa. My wife loves it there, and if we hadn't just bought a house in T.O., we'd be seriously looking at moving there.

The picture quality was a combination of grey weather, not resetting the exposure level on the camera to compensate, and also having the resolution dialed down to fit more pics on the memory card.

I will eventually figure my camera out. I might even read the instruction booklet one day.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I know I went to Ottawa once, but I definately can't remember much (Probably just spent one day there) It has a nice architecture (at least the old) and a nice feeling :)

Other canadian cities I've been to: Toronto, and Montreal, and some small town near Toronto but can't remember the name (near a lake or something... vague memory... Desert Lake? or something Lake)

Jeff

Cyburbian
When we invade, I'll be sure to join up with the company that takes Ottawa

Plan Man

Cyburbian
Invade again? After the last time you tried we figured that you would have learned your lesson...haha.