• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Transit Means Business

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Canadian Urban Transit Association has just released a report detailing the economic impacts public transit has on Canadian cities. A summary of the report can be found here.

Wulf9

Any idea where they got that jobs multiplier (21.4 jobs for each $1m spent)?

Does anyone have a U.S. equivalent study?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It appears it came from a study done by the Province of British Columbia - it's footnoted as source "f" in the references.

green lizard

I like the photos on the back of the space transit riders req vs the space the same amount of people req in cars. I may not
totaly agree with the logic, but it is a great way to explain the
concept.

My big complaint with the info is the usual complaint I have with
most info I read. WHAT ARE THE STATISTICAL FACTS. We are
allways given stats and told to look up the supporting docs. I
have done a lot of class time and work time with stats. It is
very easy to misrepresent statistics. Sample size is the biggest
one that can qeer the result. I do not like repeating someones
stat summary only to find out that the sample size was to small
to support the conclution.

(sorry, pet peeve)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, the document was a bit "propaganda-ish", but it is just the executive summary. If you want the full report, you have to buy it.

The transit v. auto capacity photo is a classic that was done by the City of Toronto as a part of the background work for the Official Plan. I think it gets the message across quite well.