Transportation masters programs with regional focus?

Hi there,

I'm a bicycle advocate (currently working at a nonprofit) looking to go back to school to get a degree in transportation planning. My main interests lie in regional planning - especially improving active transportation, transit, and connectivity in suburban/rural areas. Does anyone know of any schools with that focus? I believe the biking and walking movement is reaching a tipping point in (most) major cities and is in the experienced hands of planners there - I want to learn how to grow it out to the sprawl.

Many thanks for any/all advice!

Hi there,

I'm a bicycle advocate (currently working at a nonprofit) looking to go back to school to get a degree in transportation planning. My main interests lie in regional planning - especially improving active transportation, transit, and connectivity in suburban/rural areas. Does anyone know of any schools with that focus? I believe the biking and walking movement is reaching a tipping point in (most) major cities and is in the experienced hands of planners there - I want to learn how to grow it out to the sprawl.

Many thanks for any/all advice!
UCLA

There are lots of schools that could work for you. I'd choose a metro area you want to be working in after graduation and find a school near there. In that kind of field, work experience and volunteering is going to be crucial. Find a place that has organizations that work on these issues.

glutton

Cyburbian
Most schools don't really do a good job of regional planning per se (at least not through a designated concentration, and even then it's usually more economic development oriented, not transportation focused).

I would advise learning as much as you can in school about the technical and policy side of transportation planning, and then doing your internship at a regional planning agency/MPO, like CMAP (northeastern IL) or a nonprofit like the Active Transportation Alliance in Chicago. The former has a great graduate summer internship called the Phillip D. Peters Fellowship specifically geared towards people with an interest in regional planning.

glutton

Cyburbian
Intern at an MPO or COG (regional planning agency) that is doing active transportation/bike/ped work. You'll learn a lot and gain some great experience with regional/suburban bike network stuff. I would highly recommend applying for the Peters Fellowship at the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning between your first and second year of grad school!