• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Transportation modeling/analysis software question

southern_yank

Cyburbian
Being that I'm currently unemployed and dedicating more time to professional development, I'm wondering what multi-modal transportation modeling software is most valuable to learn for the private sector. In my public sector roles I was one of the few planners who did roadway renderings with Illustrator, SketchUp and Microstation without the help of consultants, but I know private planning/engineering firms want more network modeling and analysis experience as well.

I've started learning Vissim which seems comprehensive for modeling traffic, pedestrians & public transportation, though there's a steep learning curve. It also seems a lot of international firms want Cube experience - there's a 30 day trial and training session available for $500 I'm considering. Any other software advice (especially if there are free trials available) is much appreciated.