• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Transportation Planning for Beginners(Was Graduate Programs in Planning Abroad)

gitana

Because I have just begun the internship two weeks ago, I have spent most of my time learning vocabulary and reviewing transportation reports in German. During the 5 months here, I should get some experience with GIS and am supposed to have a roll (although as of yet unclear) in a plan to expand the traffice network in a region outside of dresden, germany.
Are there any recommendations that you could offer concerning what I should focus on? I understand that the question is quite vague, but I have very little experience in transportation, the closest to planning experience I have is an internship related to community development and land use. Furthermore, I do not have a technical background (i studied econ and spanish). The firm that I am working at is quite flexible and would be willing to offer experience in whatever I am interested. THe problem is that I am rather foreign to the field. (How I ended up in this internship is another story!). I would like, however, this experience to offer as much as possible and make me a competitive applicant for grad school in planning. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Well, I expect that your role as an intern will be more of a learning experience so you won't be expected to be a transportation planning expert...

I'd probably try to get a good handle on the transportation planning policy of the region - whatever jurisdictions are involved, to gain an understanding of the directions they wish to take. You mention a project to expand the traffic network in the area - do you mean just roads, or the transportation network as a whole? Just ask lots of questions, and try to get an idea of the process.

btw, you're not working for Wiedleplan (not sure if I spelled that right) are you?