• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Transportation Specific Conferences

glutton

Cyburbian
Has anyone been to Rail Volution, NACTO, Pro Walk Pro Bike Pro Place, APTA, ITE, or other transportation-specific conferences instead of the APA National Planning Conference? What has been your experience doing so?

I gave up going to APA five years ago and have instead focused my once-a-year conference ask specifically towards Rail~Volution and NACTO Designing Cities. It's been awesome tbh. But I'm hoping to be AICP certified by Jan 2020, so I'm trying to decide where to focus my energy and fill all the requirements of getting my AICP CM's. On one hand I like being able to just focus on transportation since it's more relevant to my job (because even that is a huggeeeee field with a lot of sub-topics). But on the other, I sometimes miss being more in the know about the bigger planning picture and meeting other types of planners (housing, land use, environment, urban design, zoning, etc.). The other ones are also nice because they are smaller, usually less than 1,000 people so more akin to the State APA conferences (but national). They do tend to focus on the large coastal cities, though, while APA is much more balanced in terms of geographic scale (rural, regional, counties, MPOs, federal, etc.).

Have people been to other conferences? What was your take?

bigfoxy98

The Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting is another great conference that offers AICP credits. They also offer more topic specific meetings throughout the year across the country. Other transportation related conferences are NARC, NADO Rural Transportation.

glutton

Cyburbian
The Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting is another great conference that offers AICP credits. They also offer more topic specific meetings throughout the year across the country. Other transportation related conferences are NARC, NADO Rural Transportation.
I forgot about TRB! Yes definitely a great one - it's huge and overwhelming, but when I lived near there I used to go attend all the auxiliary events before, after, and during TRB.

Top Bottom