• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Transportation to stadiums

kslevin

Does anyone know of where I could track down mode share information for various stadiums in NYC and across the country. What percentage of people use public transit, what percentage drive?

I would check with the MTA in NYC or any the large city public transit system on the east coast such as SEPTA in Philadelphia. I think you may get a varied modal split because transit is a primary means of getting to the ballgame. I wouldn't check with places like Kansas City or Phoenix where the car is king.

jresta

Cyburbian
the north omaha star said:
I would check with the MTA in NYC or any the large city public transit system on the east coast such as SEPTA in Philadelphia. I think you may get a varied modal split because transit is a primary means of getting to the ballgame. I wouldn't check with places like Kansas City or Phoenix where the car is king.
New York is going to be much more difficult to figure out b/c both stadiums have subway, commuter rail, and bus service. Shea stadium also has ferry service.
You also might want to consider all of the charter busses.

The Broad St. Subway here in Philly is hit or miss. Since all of the stadiums/arenas are in the same area and all share parking ridership depends on what events are coinciding. I don't have hard numbers to give you but during football season it will handle up to 1/4 of the fans - and eagles games are always near sell-out. Basketball and hockey games see much lower ridership b/c parking is easier. Ridership is also much heavier among people coming to games from north of the city because the regional rail ride is cheaper and the connection to the subway express trains is easier. For those coming in from west of the city the trip is more expensive because you're travelling two extra zones to connect with the subway and the pedestrian part of that connection is quite possibly the most miserable, deteriorated, urine soaked concourse in the city.