• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Treasures

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
What does everybody collect - anything?

I go for old Coldwater postcards, mainly of downtown. I get most of those off of ebay. It can be pretty inexpensive. This one starts at $4. BTW - Downtown still looks like this with the exception of the buggies :)

We go to a lot of auctions and I try to go for old wood furniture and vintage outdoor / garden type of stuff. I have to lay off the furniture for a while. I have about 15 projects sitting in our basement.

Chad collects fire stuff.

I think thats about it? Anyone else?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Keychain versions of toys. I bought the mini tinker toys and couldn't stop myself. Now I have Mr and Mrs Potato head, Monopoly, Operation, etc. Some of the pieces in Mouse Trap are so small they have to be assembled with tweezers. They're all hanging from the bulletin board in my office. For some reason, the lawyers find them irresistable.

Also Dept. 56 "North Pole Village" buildings, people, etc. but I'm running out of room to store and display them.

I started collecting those cheesy souvenir spoons for my son when he was tiny.

jmf

Cyburbian
I collect postcards and postal history (letters, post marks, other post office stuff) from a very rural county in Nova Scotia. There used to be almost 200 post offices now there are less than 10.

I collect stamps currently most interested in stamps engraved by Czeslaw Slania, his artwork is absolutely incredible. (http://www.uno.edu/~asoble/pages/picture_page_8.htm)

I also love books, mostly local history and literature but I also collect wooden boxes which look like books. Some have secret compartments.
(http://www.studioantiquesandfineart.com/items/75853/item75853store.html)

I have a small garbage bag full of old Happy Meal toys. I haven't "collected" any in over 10 years, but I'm still holding on to these.

donk

Cyburbian
I collect comic books, sci fi/pulp era books and bicycle related beer pint glasses.

I'd like to collect older cast iron toys, such as tractors, but can't afford to.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
U.S. coins are the only thing I collect. Mostly, I pick these up at auctions, although it is getting harder to find the ones I still need.

I also pick up old furniture at auctions, and have a mission-style oak couch (1910) and rocking chair (1920's), and a carved oak piano (1897) to show for it.

I tend to pick up art (mainly watercolors and pottery) when I take vacations. Here's an example:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I have a model railway, so I guess I "collect" trains.

For a while I was collecting double-decker buses and streetcars (mainly the Corgi 1:48 die-cast), but I haven't got any new ones for some time now.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
I collect frog and dolphin figurines and candles, I have some bean bag and sand frogs, but Kylie has taken ownership of most of them.

I also collect(and use) Longaberger baskets. I got lots of them at my bridal shower and I want several more. I have the desk set at my office and I am looking into becoming a consultant so I can sell them. I am addicted to them and could talk about them for hours!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I used to be into collecting LP and EP records. I guess I still am to an extent. I try to get refrigerator magnets from each place I visit. I also recently began collecting old metal beer trays from breweries that are/were located in Wisconsin as well as other brewery related stuff.

I am definitely NOT a collector, except for the piles of yarn through out the house - but I really am going to use them all some day.

Rob is a big collector - he's kept all his old baseball cards, he also collects the disney statues, and these weird little 1970's era gnomes from East Germany, they're called Co-Boys. My sister calls them underpants gnomes.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I collect old Brownie cameras I am looking for one of these for < $20.

ebay

nerudite

Cyburbian
I love glass and collect unique glass pieces, whether usable or for display. I especially like cobalt glass (real cobalt that is... when you hold it up to the light, there should be a red tint). I would like to take up the hobby of blowing glass sometime.

I also collect nice editions of books by certain authors: Nabokov, Bowles, Mahfouz, Neruda.

My b.f. collects comic books and spiderman stuff.

BKM

Cyburbian
Don't do drugs or drink very much-I collect things :(

Art glass

Tons of heavy metal CDs

Architecture/photography books.

But, my big collection craze right now is southwestern Pueblo pottery. My favorite is Acoma Pueblo (Sky City) work-really thin walled with intricate linework.

Heavy metal CDs and pottery, I am a web of contradictions :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I used to collect antique volkswagens, but that got to be a little bulky.

I dont collect household tchatchkies (sp?), but inherited a few that are mostly in storage - antique glass and fiesta ware.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
I also collect old postcards. The 'real photo' and linen cards from the early 1900s have great images of cities. I have a lot of postcards from the towns I have lived or worked in, and I have a small but growing collection of early linen cards of each county courthouse in Indiana. I also have a bunch of cards showing Carnegie libraries.

Its a fun diversion, and relatively inexpensive. Most postcards are $3 to $8, but I have a handful that are worth $30 or so each. Ebay is great for finding old postcards.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Shotglasses...

I have hundreds. Either antiques, uniques, or from places I've been.

BKM

Cyburbian
Let's try an attachment. This beauty will be arriving this week :)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Bullwinkle said:
Its a fun diversion, and relatively inexpensive. Most postcards are $3 to $8, but I have a handful that are worth $30 or so each. Ebay is great for finding old postcards.
I collect old postcards too. I think it must be a planner hobby -- we pay more attention to the built environment than the average Shmoe.

The only problem is, when I go to some antiques or ephemera show, I am compelled to weed through hundreds of postcards. It's not that inexpensive when you want to buy 20 of them...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
I just collect beer cans, soda cans and rocks... nothing else :p
Rocks. I forgot about rocks. Yes, I do a fair amount of prospecting for minerals and unusual rocks to add to the collection.

SGB

Cyburbian
I have a small but growing collection of microbrewery pint glasses.

jmf

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
The only problem is, when I go to some antiques or ephemera show, I am compelled to weed through hundreds of postcards. It's not that inexpensive when you want to buy 20 of them...
That's for sure. My husband almost had an attackm when I laid down almost $300 for a bunch of postcards.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
humm lets see i collect lions, unusual tribal looking ones get me all excited. They are strewn around my livingroom while violets and ivy are collected for the kitchen

oh yes and dog hair, i seem to collect dust bunnies made of dog hair-ive started a breeding program for them ;-)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
jmf said:

That's for sure. My husband almost had an attackm when I laid down almost $300 for a bunch of postcards.
Well, I suppose I could justify spending $300 on postcards if my husband is shelling out hundreds of $$$ on e-bay for some esoteric foreign car parts... being shipped from overseas to boot...

Jeff

Cyburbian
I collect die cast firetrucks...I think I've been made fun of for that already though.

jmf

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:

Well, I suppose I could justify spending $300 on postcards if my husband is shelling out hundreds of $$$ on e-bay for some esoteric foreign car parts... being shipped from overseas to boot...
Mine buys kayaks, so far we have a single, a double and a whitewater. Plus all the gear that goes with them!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Keychain versions of toys. I bought the mini tinker toys and couldn't stop myself. Now I have Mr and Mrs Potato head, Monopoly, Operation, etc. Some of the pieces in Mouse Trap are so small they have to be assembled with tweezers. They're all hanging from the bulletin board in my office. For some reason, the lawyers find them irresistable.
The lawyers not only love them, but so do the planners. One of the best ones is the See and Say Transportation type things (I think that is what it is). You know one of those toys where you pull the lever or string and the arrow goes round and round and then lands on the picture and makes a sound. The transportation one makes all the sounds of the vehicles. Very cool.

Zoning Goddess you must find the Magic 8 Ball so the office can do scientific planning.

I collect Disney Videos and DVDs, as well as dust bunnies which can be seen throughout the house. My husband, who is a photographer, collects old cameras, which helps me collect dust bunnies.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Trail we need to see if our dust bunnies can cross breed-or if my beagle will eat your bunnies-he gets a craving for mine once in a while

hehe

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Trail we need to see if our dust bunnies can cross breed-or if my beagle will eat your bunnies-he gets a craving for mine once in a while

hehe
Did anyone catch the article last week on an endangered rabbit out west? Supposedly, there are only about thirty of these pygmy rabbits left, and scientists are questioning if a captive breeding program can save them. Am I missing something? These are rabbits!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:

hehe
My only fear is that if we create a new strand of dust bunnies, they may become resistent to being cleaned. But just think how cute they would be! :)

donk

Cyburbian
My only fear is that if we create a new strand of dust bunnies, they may become resistent to being cleaned. But just think how cute they would be!

I already have that breed in my house, I expect one day to wake up with them trying to smother me.