• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Tree Houses

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Hey does anyone have any regulations about tree houses? Are they regulated as accessory structures? Play structures (like a swing set)?

We have a situation where a tree house was placed in a front yard and we don't have any ordinance banning tree houses.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
jtfortin wrote:
Hey does anyone have any regulations about tree houses? Are they regulated as accessory structures? Play structures (like a swing set)?

We have a situation where a tree house was placed in a front yard and we don't have any ordinance banning tree houses.

If I was in that situation, I would enforce it as an accessory structure and let the court sort it out.

Jen

Cyburbian
No one up here but us birds

I' god treehouses aren't allowed? Commie planners! what if I had no trees in the back yard? then I would be denied my right to rig a secure perch in my front yard trees for a lttle R&R?

Glomer

tree houses?????

We have similar problems here in northern minnesota. Dad (or Mom) decides, after a few beers, to spend the weekend building massive tree houses with bridges and swings from one tree to the next. Where do you draw the line??? Shouldn't they be getting a building permit??? I try not to be the commie planner.......I generally pretend I don't see it, if it is in their backyard........but what if it is in the front yard.

My answer would be, consider it an accessory structure and tell them to tear it down.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cut down the tree

Just kidding.

We exempt play structures from zoning. That includes tree houses.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I tried to ignore it....but it is on a well-traveled street (and the one that leads to City Hall) and it is very obvious...plus the complaints are coming in.

Glomer

No accessory building shall be erected or located within any required yard other than the rear yard.

Go Get um!

adaptor

There was a situation where I lived a few years ago where a planner who lived in (but did not work for) the city agitated to have the regs for accessory structures enforced against a teepe a boy scout father & son erected in their yard. Granted it was as tall as a garage and probably slept up to 4 kids, and they kept it up all summer -- but it was by nature a temporary structure. Negative press resulted when they were told to take it down or get permits.

Glomer

There needs to be definite regs regarding this issue......

tents for a night/weekend is OK.......TP's for a night or a weekend OK.......but when you start letting things slide.....then you will be going down a never ending road to hell.......

People will say........"well that person has a tp up for the summer, I want my camper in the backyard so my relatives can stay for the summer".........."That person has a tree house that sleeps three kids, why can't I put up another shed for my uncle Stan to sleep in"

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hell?

Road to Hell?

I thought we were already IN hell? I mean come on, we are planners, lower in the food chain than lawyers *or so they tell me*.

If its in the front yard its gotta go, if its in the back let the kid enjoy. Unless your urban tree person can find some reason to blast em. :)

Damn I always wanted a tree house...

D

el Guapo

Capitalist
A practical solution

This bad boy will clean out all but the most infested trees. The key is to shoot at the tree house from at least 100' feet away otherwise the warhead will not arm. Within a 100' feet the warhead just passes through the structure and then the self destruct will detonate the war head 1.85 -2.55 seconds after firing.

They are hard to find, but the Soviets used to make a White Phosphorus warhead that had great terminal effects on small wooden play structures.

Best of luck.

Mary

You might address it under nuisance abatement. If it's low it may cause trafic problems. If it's high and accessable it may be an attractive nuisance attracting other children to play in it who may hurt themselves.

Good luck.