• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Regulation Tree preservation ordinances

ryan.smith21

Hello,

Does anyone have tree preservation ordinances, or tree protection elements as part of an overall tree ordinance or zoning ordinance that you could provide examples to? I'm located in northern Indiana so midwestern examples are especially valued, but any quality examples would help.

Thanks in advance.

DVD

Cyburbian
We have one, but it's convoluted so unless you're desperate and want to include cacti in your preservation plan I would skip mine.

Generally it comes down to if your tree is 3 or 4" caliper or bigger you need to save it or relocate it on site. I forget the cactus dimension. You might want to set a larger caliper.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Check out Austin, TX - they love their trees!

Georgetown, TX used to love trees, but it's been a few years since I've used their code. They may have changed their mind.

bureaucrat#3

Are you looking to preserve large swaths of canopy and forest or are you looking to preserve heritage or specimen trees? Or both?