• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Trent Lott

Trent Lott?

• Racist - And he's gotta go!

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Stupid - And he's gotta go!

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Stupid - And he should stay.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Neither - Just a good ol'Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who's Trent Lott

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

el Guapo

Capitalist
I have been out of the loop most of this week. This is my first time back on the board in three days with some time to comment. OK, here goes. I spent about 8 years bashing Bill Clinton and with damn good reasons that were proved out over time. So with that said, when one on your team pulls an unforgivable suicidal quote out of the atmosphere pervasive in Selma Alabama in the early 1960’s you have to go on record. I really thought the vast majority of conservatives were past this kind of muddled thinking. Trent Lott was wrong, uncaring and just stupid in his comments. Some say there was no racist intent, just a longing for the good old days. That is BS. Any fourth grader would know enough not to stand next to a David Duke, a Strom Thurmond or a Bull Connors and reminisce about the good old days. Sorry. There has to be some hate in a heart to get that out past your lips. Many of the guys in his generation are functional racists. I believe he is one of them. This is not the conservatism I and many many others practice. This is a conservative with a problem and I don’t wish to have him in a position of any political power ever again. I have notified my elected officials.

The hardest part of this was being on the same side of this issue as Jessie and Al.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think the President handled it well by immediately and strongly condemning Lott's comments. He actually made a good impression for once.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ya know i again agree with you Guap *looks for the falling sky*

Lott is a bigot that has got to go, im still amazed folks elected Helms and Strom Thurmond as long as they did. Hate is very much alive and well not just in the south but all over.

for once i think the prez and co did a good job, i hope hes calling ol trent at home and telling him to take a hike-NOW

PG

Jeff

Cyburbian
Definitly dumb what he said. But sadly I think he was showing a side most Americans feel but never actually say?

I've also been off the board for most of the week. I think what he said was both racist AND dumb, but I'm neither shocked nor surprised by it, because like Mike said, I believe there are many more people out there who truly believe that but have never verbalized it (at least out in public).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think what he said was racist and stupid, yet he should stay because he makes the Rebublican party look bad. ;)

Glomer

I agree that Trent Lot should go, but not for the same reasons. I just think it is a better move for the republicans to have new blood, not because trent lot is a racist.

I'm getting sick of Republicans allowing this double standard.....as if we are always the bad, noncompassionate people. No one is asking BOB BIRD to step down. Liberals are looking back at stupid things trent lot has said in the past 30 years.......should we do that for all senators and kick everyone out for saying stupid things?

Again, I don't care if trent lot goes......lets just make sure he goes for the right reasons (because he just isn't a good leader) Not because he said something stupid.

And a note to you liberals out there........STOP trying to turn what one stupid person says into defining the whole republican party. Vote for us...come to our side because all republicans are racists. It gets old.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Glomer said:
And a note to you liberals out there........STOP trying to turn what one stupid person says into defining the whole republican party. Vote for us...come to our side because all republicans are racists. It gets old.
This is no different than Republicans and Conservatives calling anyone who opposed a war with Iraq or questions post 9-11 policies as "un-American" or "The Blame America Crowd" That gets old too.

The only reason labeling works by the Dems, is because the Republican Party allows it to happen. The Republicans always sit by and watch as Democrats call them names. Look at judicial nominations by Bush..the Democrats have managed to destroy any candidate that they don't like and the chickehsh**t Republicans allow it to happen.

Personally, I think both parties should concentrate on issues rather than campaign strategy and posturing.

The Irish One

Trent Lott is a dumbass-but there is a double standard here. Bob byrd was a proud card carrying member of the KKK and not one person in the Dem. or Rep. party has called for his resignation -atleast that I can remember. Anyway as a nonlibertarian tory, I think it is totally justified for Trent to get demoted from speaker-BUT I don't think it will happen.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I still can't believe this country has a 100 year old senator.

Did that guy from Good Morning America wish him happy birthday?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
People do change over time, and we should accept that. Byrd may have been with the KKK decades ago. Lott's statements were this week.

My vote is for stupid, not that i don't think it was racist, but just so appallingly and overwhelmingly stupid! It kills me how everyone is fondly recalling Strom's years of service, and totally glossing over the fact that he was a huge player during a particularly nasty and ugly part country's past. sigh.

The Irish One

people do change over time but Byrd still has the stench of a good ol' boy in him. Byrd has used the "N" word to describe people, that is white people in the not so distant past. I think that epithet to describe any human being is seriously degrading. I can't help but judge his character less than favorable.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
First of all, he used an extremely poor choice of words. The first clue that he should have been more careful : he was talking about Strom Thurmond. Duh!

I don't think he should get the boot from Washington, but I do think he should get a boot in the behind.

I also think the media is blowing this out of proportion. How many times can you apologize and admit you were wrong? It's only compunded by other politicians feasting on his carcass (like Bush did yesterday - he was over the top in my mind).

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lets face it no matter what party you side with *or not* American politics sucks big time, we are not in anyway led by folks that represent us at all-or folks we would even want in our homes if we were given the choice.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
No No, being a segregationist is all about states rights...

Really.

No Really.

I am not crazy about the media feeding frenzy or everyone from the Reverend Jackson to the President piling on. None of us know Trent Lott.

But in this case, I don't think I want to. His comments are clearly racist.

And you guys know I am a conservative, libertarian, free-market Republican, so if I could spin this, I would. I can't.

Trent Lott cannot be allowed to lead the Republican Party, plain and simple.

We just had this great victory in November, winning both houses back and we jeopardize our ability to rule because some fool from Louisiana is a white supremist?

Get out Trent.

Though I don't think he is going to resign.

PlannerGirl said:
Ya know i again agree with you Guap *looks for the falling sky*

Lott is a bigot that has got to go, im still amazed folks elected Helms and Strom Thurmond as long as they did. Hate is very much alive and well not just in the south but all over.

for once i think the prez and co did a good job, i hope hes calling ol trent at home and telling him to take a hike-NOW

PG
Nah, keep him around. He'll be the best whipping-boy for the Democrats since Newt Ginrich.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
...and exactly how does Jesse JAckson have the right to chime in after his "himmietown" debacle a few years ago? Hypocrite!

jestes

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
We just had this great victory in November, winning both houses back and we jeopardize our ability to rule because some fool from Louisiana is a white supremist?
First of all, Trent Lott is from Mississippi not Louisiana. And don't even go there, we have already had that discussion. I have heard the media discussing Lott's segregationist comments. Tell me one thing that he said (out of context) that is segregationist. Sure, taken in context it was a stupid thing to say and there is no doubt what Strom's views were at the time. However, even the most zealous idealogue has issues and priorities beyond what they are famous or infamous for. I have even heard people try to expand on what Lott said by blanket categorizations of all Republicans or all Southerners being racist. Allow me to share one persons view of the South and where we are now. This just happens to have been written by a good friend of mine in this area. Read and see if there is anything here that you can relate to:

This was written by Robert St. John, executive chef and owner of the Purple Parrot Cafe, Crescent City Grill and Mahogany Bar of Hattiesburg, MS.

Thirty years ago I visited my first cousin in Virginia. While hanging out with his New England raised friend, the discussion turned to popular movies of the day. When I offered my two-cents on the authenticity and social relevance of the movie Billy Jack, one of the boys asked, in all seriousness; "Do you guys actually have movie theaters down there?" To which I replied, "Yep. We wear shoes too."

Just three years ago, my wife and I were attending a food and wine seminar in Aspen, Colo. We were seated with two couples from Las Vegas. One of the Glitter Gulch gals was amused and downright rude when I described our restaurant as a fine-dining restaurant. "Mississippi doesn't have fine-dining restaurants!" she demanded and nudged her companion. I fought back the strong desire to mention that she lived in the land that invented the 99-cent breakfast buffet.

I wanted badly to defend my state and my restaurant with a 15-minute soliloquy and public relations rant that would surely change her mind. It was at that precise moment that I was hit with a blinding jolt of enlightenment, and in a moment of complete and absolute clarity it dawned on me - my South is the best-kept secret in the country. Why would I try to win this woman over? She might move down here, heaven forbid!

I am always amused by Hollywood's interpretation of the South. We are still, on most occasions, depicted as a collective group of sweaty, ignorant, stupid, backwards-minded, inbred,and racist rednecks. The South of movies and TV, the Hollywood South, is not my South.

This is my South:

a. My South is full of honest, hard-working people.

b. My South is colorblind. In my South, we don't put a premium on pigment. No one really cares whether you are black, white, red or green with orange polka dots.

c. My South is the birthplace of blues and jazz, and rock n' roll. It has banjo pickers and fiddle players, but it also has B.B. King, Muddy Waters, the Allman Brothers, Winton and Branford Marsalis, Van Cliburn, Emmylou Harris, and Elvis.

d. My South is hot.

e. My South smells of newly mowed grass and fresh earth.

f. My South was the South of The Partridge Family, Hawaii 5-0 , kick the can, and tackle football.

g. My South was creek swimming, cane-pole fishing and bird hunting.

h. In my South, football is king, and the Southeastern Conference is the kingdom.

i. My South is home to the most beautiful women on the planet.

j. In my South, soul food and country cooking are the same thing.

k. My South is full of fig preserves, cornbread, butter beans, fried chicken, barbeque, ribs, grits, hushpuppies, and catfish.

l. In my South we eat foie gras, caviar, and truffles.

m. In my South, our transistor radios introduced us to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones at the same time they were introduced to the rest of the country.

n. In my South, grandmothers cook a big DINNER every Sunday. Dinner is eaten in the middle of the day and supper is eaten in the evening. Did Jesus and the Disciples have a "Last Dinner"?

o. In my South, family matters, deeply.

p. My South is boiled shrimp, blackberry cobbler, peach ice cream, banana pudding and lemon meringue pies.

q. In my South people put peanuts in bottles of Coca Cola and hot sauce on almost everything.

r. In my South the tea is iced and almost as sweet as the women.

s. My South has air-conditioning.

t. My South is camellias, azaleas, wisteria and hydrangeas.

u. In my South, the only person that has to sit on the back of the bus is the last person that got on the bus.

v. In my South, people still say "yes, ma'am," "no ma'am," "please" and "thank you."

In my South, we all wear shoes....most of the time. My South is the best-kept secret in the country. Please continue to keep the secret....it keeps the bigots and idiots away!

Runner

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
But sadly I think he was showing a side most Americans feel but never actually say?
I couldn't disagree more. I think "most Americans" have long since left behind racist views. While we still have white, and black, supremists (and every shade in between) they are the nutty bad apples that are spoiling it for the rest of us.

That said, it was a stupid thing for Lott to say and does not represent the best of America. Once a politician does something that stupid its time to step down for the good of everyone.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Did anyone watch SNL Saturday when Al Gore portrayed Trent Lott? He was so damned funny I thought I was going to pee!

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Jestes, sorry about the geography blunder. Of course Trent Lott is from Mississippi. But MS is clise to Louisiana right?

I in no way meant to disparrage the South. I have lived in both Columbia SC and Atlanta and thoroughly enjoyed the people and my time there.

But Trent Lott is not exactly out front on Race Issues. I could give him the benefit, maybe, but I think its now too costly to the Party. I just don't want to take any chances.

And what do you think he meant when he said we would be better off by electing Strom in 1948, what problems was he talking about?

el Guapo

Capitalist
gkmo62u said:
....And what do you think he meant when he said we would be better off by electing Strom in 1948, what problems was he talking about?
Strom had a plan to invent the internet 40 years before Al Gore. Thus, we would have been well past wireless broadband by now. I think these were the technical issues he was addressing. ;)

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
You can't make this stuff up:

Saturday morning I am in the basement drinking my coffee flipping--sports center, fox news....--and there is a shot of Strom at his birthday party...and my 5 year old daughter says:

"Daddy, that guy looks funny, he has funny hair"

Coffee on the rug...out my nose...

jestes

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
And what do you think he meant when he said we would be better off by electing Strom in 1948, what problems was he talking about?
Lott could have very well been speaking of Thurman's segregationist past. While I am certianly no fan of Strom Thurman I do know, as I stated in my previous post, that most people are not entirely one dimensional. I know that Thurman had strong views in the areas of foreign policy, fiscal responsibility and technology. It is interesting to not that the Dixiecrat party that Thurman represented was a spin-off of the Democrat party. Also, if I am not mistaken, the civil rights act was passed only through a Republican Majority, much to the dismay of the Democratic Party.

I think that Senator Lott's biggest mistake was not in his choice of words but rather that he chose to appologize rather than explain his intentions. In addition, I do not mean to be overly defensive of the South. However, I do think that Northern Liberals take great pleasure in maintaining the stereotypes that portray us all as poor, uneducated bigots.

BKM

Cyburbian
Trent-and Jesse and Al

What people are neglecting to mention is that Trent Lott has a history-a recent history of this type of behavior. As recently as 1998, his writings were published in neo-confederate newsletters. This is not a friendly slip of the tongue-its a deep-rooted belief system. A Republican Party that continues to allow him to serve as its leader only confirms my detestation for that party.

Where I would agree with conservatives is that the Democrats need to totally repudiate Jesse Jackson-let alone that raving lunatic/perjurer Al Sharpton. Trent Lott, as vicious as he is, and as much as I hate his politics, never got involved in anything as sordid as the Tawana Bradley case. I hope that wierd little lawsuit against Jessie costs him millions!

They are fascists! Any Democrat who cozies up to these divisive nuts loses my respect. (That just shows how little respect I have for Democrats, I guess :) )

Jeff

Cyburbian
The more I think about this, the more I believe this is a democratic push to bring equal power in the senate??

Nobody ever made a big deal out of John Street's (mayor of Philly) "The brothers and sisters are running the city" comment.

Come to think of it, I think I just hate all politicians, white, black, purple, red....they're all scumbags IMO.

The Irish One

"I hope that wierd little lawsuit against Jessie costs him millions!

I dont the money is just coming from some corporation he threatens with a law suit. He won't pay a dime. He has no moral base!

The Irish One

what is it they say about the republican party-something like the republicans don't come back for their wounded. At first Iconfidently thought Lott would keep his leader status -a momentary lapse of political judgement on my part- now this seems like the perfect opportunity to be PC and demonstarate to america that the republicans won't tolerate such speech from anyone. It's a great PR moment for any opportunistic republican in the senate, say somebody with their eye on 2008

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I believe a lot of people (no pun intended), on the right and the left, have been doing plenty of self-reflection since Trent Lott's comments came to light and caused the stir they did. Certainly, I've been thinking about it quite a bit.

More than "Lott just slipped," "Lott's a racist," or "Lott's gotta' go," I've been thinking about some of the things I've said in the past. I don't believe that I'm a racist, and I'm depressed by what could possibly be a permanent price that the United States will have to pay for the previous actions of its collective citizenry. Still, though, I've told ethnic jokes, and said things that don't reflect how I feel ... things that could be easily percieved as racist. What if I was in the public eye?

The loudest voices seem to express two opinions; that folks are too sensitive and Lott only made a slip of the tongue to make an old man happy; and that Lott is essentially a white collar Klansman who let his true feelings show with his comments. As someone who has said things that he later regretted, I just think that Trent Lott was stupid. Racist ... well, I dunno. I won't speak for him, just as I don't want others making gross assumptions based on a joke I might have said before. Stupid, though ... definitely.

Should Lott go? Nope. Every day he's in office, though, he'll be reminded of what happened, and hs presence will serve as a reminder to others. A zebra may not be able to change its stripes, but we're not zebras ... we're humans.

As for those in Mississippi who would defend him, in a kneejerk reaction ... consider the image your state's residents often have in the outside world. Unfortunately, the word "Mississippi" evokes images of racist, redneck bubbas instead of Southern hospitality, civility and chivalry. Reality may be far from that. When prominent representatives of the state do things that lend validity to those stereotypes, though, you have to ask if their actions are really in your best interest.

donk

Cyburbian
You should see the ruckus going on up here over some very nasty things an aboriginal leader has said about Jews.

Here is the

story

OMG!!!! The world would be just such a better place if guys like this could just say: Yes, I f***ed up, I'm sorry and I resign.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Dan:

I think that is why he's gotta go, the republican Party can't function with a leader who IS reminded every day of his stupidity, racism, mistep, whatever you wan't to call it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
You should see the ruckus going on up here over some very nasty things an aboriginal leader has said about Jews.

Here is the

story
Remember...Jesse Jackson referred to NYC as "Hymieville" not too long ago.

I think we should all just forget about it and agree to be different, etc etc......