• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Landscaping Trinity College-Dublin replaces manicured lawns with natural landscaping

Increased biodiversity and insect pollination:
"This is part of its response to Ireland’s biodiversity crisis and commitment to the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan... . . . ...Wildflowers support biodiversity and provide a habitat for native insects and food for pollinators in the city centre."

One of Trinity College's missions:
To make "a pioneering attempt in Ireland to place wildflower spaces in a formal setting."

Hope for marked increase in environmental awareness:
The wildflowers will "serve as a constant reminder of what nature looks like while underlining the increasingly important role we all have in protecting our environment," said Professor John Parnell, chair of Trinity’s grounds and gardens committee.

Article https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...a-field-of-wildflowers/ar-BB17wlVH?li=BBnbklE

Lower maintenance; more water conservation; increased sustainability:
"A wildflower meadow would require less water and upkeep than a clean and manicured lawn, since it doesn’t need mowing or frequent watering.

Hope for increased mental well-being:
"Many mental health experts have noted that spending just 20 minutes in a natural space can help boost your mood and reduce stress hormones. Now, students can enjoy a gorgeous piece of nature while they’re studying for their courses and walking to class."

Trinity College Dublin's extensive twitter feed after announcing the program:

Luca

Cyburbian
What a coincidence! About half an hour ago I was saying to my wife I'd like to try a wildflower micro-meadow in place of our little bit of back-garden grass next year!!

Three local green areas this year planted some wildflower meadows and they were just really pretty, with various flowers from spring and through summer (so far).

...I'd like to try a wildflower micro-meadow in place of our little bit of back-garden grass next year!!
Trinity College Dublin planted the wildflower meadow with the hopes that there would be a huge increase in pollinating bees.
Indeed, Trinity is reporting that their wildflowers are attracting bees, and the college provided to media outlets real-life examples like this flower growing in the meadow, (August 20, 2020):
Wildflower_Bees.jpg

The same thing that Trinity is actively seeking, though, may not be something that most people would want in their private yards: a large increase in stinging insects, and perhaps a hive being built.
Luca, you might want to take this into consideration when deciding whether and how to turn your bit of grass into a micro-meadow next year. I personally hope that you're able to take a shot at it!