• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Trip Generation Info

jazzmstr

Hello kids,

Just wondering if anyone had any quick info regarding trips generated from Big Box Commercial establishments like Home Depot etc, or your average sized mall, as opposed to single-family residences? Anyone? TIA,

TED

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think I can safely say that a big box development would generate more trips than a single-family house...

You really need to supply a little more info - are you looking at AM Peak Hour? PM Peak Hour? Weekends? All day? How many houses/how many square metres (sorry, feet) of commercial development?

jazzmstr

Tranplanner

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I'm sure that you can assume that about big box commercial----

sorry about the lack of info...

I'm looking at pretty much all times but especially peak hours on weekdays.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Transportation Planners tend to deal only with the AM and PM peak hours - and Saturdays if it is a major retail development.

The ITE has produces the "ITE Trip Generation Manual", which is basically the bible for trip generation. However, ITE rates are limited somewhat in that they tend to represent suburban, auto-oriented development, and can only be used to generate auto trips. The trip generation manual provides trip rates for literally hundreds of types of developments, from fast-food restaurants (with or without drive-thrus, to military bases, etc.).

I'm not sure if tossing off some rates from the manual would really be that helpful - they usually aren't used in isolation.

Top Bottom