• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Trip Generation Models or Estimates

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Anyone have a good table for estimated trip generation for residential uses... I would also be interested in light commercial uses etc... I have a table I use, not sure how up to date it is so I thought I'd check around...

THANKS!!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
You should buy the latest ITE Trip Generation Manual (5th Edition now right?)

Trip Gen rates are a function of the number of units propsed, thus, you need the equations, not just an average rate across a broad range of studies.

But if you're just looking to ballpark it....you can use 10 for SFD, 5 for townhouses, 3.5-5 for age-restricted. You're on your own to consult the book for everything else ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The ITE Manual is up to the 6th edition now, and is the standard reference. I barely ever use it though - the data is very limited. Most surveys which make up the data are located in suburban areas, and no data is collected on pedestrian, transit, or bicycle trips. ITE is useless once you're in an urban area with any sort of decent transit - I tend to only look at it for comparative purposes, or for auto-oriented land use proposals.

You might be able to get some idea of a local rate, if you have demographic and/or travel data to base your assumptions on. If you have the time/resources, proxy surveying or first principles approach is probably the best way to go.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Local Studies

Has any jurisdiction conducted local trip generation studies? There must be hundreds.

Rem

Cyburbian
Re: Local Studies

Budgie said:
Has any jurisdiction conducted local trip generation studies? There must be hundreds.
We require them for most very large proposals - usually because if you use the codes the outputs are so big in scale they fail the logic test. Also we require them for transport oriented proposals.