• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Trip generation rates

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'd like to make a "sticky" thread regarding trip generation rates, a topic that seems to come up here often.

The ITE Trip Generation Handbook isn't online. However, as we find out trip generation rates for various uses from various sources, it might be useful to post them in this thread. The posts will be consolidated into this first post, with credit given to the person that found the information. If there are a lot of online studies on trip generation, it may warrant a new category in the Cyburbia link directory.

Thing is ... the ITE Trip Generation Handbook is a US$250 publication. If we reproduce the data here, in summary form, would it violate any intellectual property laws?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
Thing is ... the ITE Trip Generation Handbook is a US$250 publication. If we reproduce the data here, in summary form, would it violate any intellectual property laws?
No more than quoting from a film violates copyright laws, in sure.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm not sure about the intellectual property question (maybe I should go back and remove my reply to Stumpf before ITE cancels my membership :))...I would think that eventually if the entire manual were reproduced here that there would be a problem.

Personally, I don't use the ITE manual that often. It really isn't that great a document, unless you are in a "I need a number and I need it NOW!" situation. It is also biased in favour of highly suburban/rural situations where the predominant/only access mode is the automobile. That doens't do me a whole hell of a lot of good sitting in a City with one of the highest transit/alternative mode splits in North America.

btw - would this thread be better in ZLU&CP, or TP&A?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
btw - would this thread be better in ZLU&CP, or TP&A?
Move it as you see fit .... wait, you already did. Whoops!

Jeff

Cyburbian
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when using the ITE book is that they simply use the average trip generation rate as their number and base their assumptions/judgements on that.

The numbers vary widely based on numbers of units, s.f., etc. That is where the equatiion comes in. So....let's post the equation in here too if available, OK?

I don't know if there are any legal ramifications, because all the info in ITE is info that is submitted voluntarily and collected by random traffic consultants around the globe, and published in independent traffic studies which are all freedom of information/public info, right?

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Any ideas on the trip generation for a psychologist office with one psychologist?

We've got a somewhat controversial use variance to convert a house to a psychologist office.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Without resorting to ITE (not even sure they have this as a category)...I'd probably say it would be minimal. I mean, one shrink is only going to see maybe one patient an hour at the most right? Even if the doctor, secretary, and a couple of patients arrived in the peak hour that's hardly any traffic.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
cowley.11 said:
Any ideas on the trip generation for a psychologist office with one psychologist?
Probably ... one patient per hour, pus two round trips for each administrative staff person (probably just one), and two vehicle trips per day for deliveries. You might have three vehicles on the site that aren't owned by the practitioner; a patient, a waiting patient, and an administrative staff member.

jmf

Cyburbian
long term care facilty/nursing home

Just wondering if someone can send me this info. Parking too - if you have it.

ITE will work for me since the proposed site has npo sidewalk access, no bike trails and no public transit.

Thanks!