• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planning: general Trump's full comments on suburbs: July 16 2020

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Democrats in D.C. have been and want to, at a much higher level, abolish our beautiful and successful suburbs by placing far-left Washington bureaucrats in charge of local zoning decisions. They are absolutely determined to eliminate single-family zoning, destroy the value of houses and communities already built, just as they have in Minneapolis and other locations that you read about today. Your home will go down in value and crime rates will rapidly rise.

Joe Biden and his bosses from the radical left want to significantly multiply what they’re doing now. And what will be the end result is you will totally destroy the beautiful suburbs. Suburbia will be no longer as we know it. So they wanted to defund and abolish your police and law enforcement while at the same time destroying our great suburbs.

The suburb destruction will end with us. Next week, I will be discussing the AFFH rule — AFFH rule, a disaster — and our plans to protect the suburbs from being obliterated by Washington Democrats, by people on the far left that want to see the suburbs destroyed, that don’t care. People have worked all their lives to get into a community, and now they’re going to watch it go to hell. Not going to happen, not while I’m here.

How as a profession are/should we replying to this ?

(From the ^above^ announcement)
Trump: "So I think we’ll start sometime on Tuesday. We’ll be discussing our one plan on suburbia, but that’s one of many, many different plans. Then we’re going into the immigration — the world of immigration, the world of education. We’re going into the world of healthcare — very complete healthcare."

So tomorrow, Tuesday July 21, Trump will make a long speech, the contents of which could be any/all of the above, and/or more.
Also, Trump just announced that he's reviving his daily 5pm (EDT) coronavirus briefings starting tomorrow.
"Trump cited TV ratings as a reason to resume the daily briefings. 'I was doing them and we had a lot of people watching, record numbers watching in the history of cable television, and there's never been anything like it.' "

As with anything Trump, we'll just have to "wait and see". Aren't you just biting your fingernails in suspense?

DVD

Cyburbian
At this point I'm just waiting for how much crap can be screwed up before the next person takes office.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
More of his comments on suburbs - transcript of tele-rally

They want to abolish educational standards and they want to enforce a horrible situation on our suburbs. The men and women that have fought so hard to live in a beautiful area. They want to enforce Obama-Biden's radical, AFFH regulation that threatens to strip localities of federal affordable housing funds unless they change their zoning laws to fit the federal government's demands.

And I'm going to be eliminating -- I've already announced it, eliminating the AFFH regulation. It's a disaster and I think the suburbs will be very happy. This has been going on for years. Housing prices go down, crime goes up, it's ridiculous. So we have a situation in Michigan, but all over the country, where there's never been a difference like this.

Abolish school choice, end school choice, abolish -- they want to abolish all school choice, end it. They Want to abolish charter schools. This is just never-ending. And just finally, they want to abolish educational standards and abolish what will be a -- the equivalent of abolishing or hurting very badly the suburbs.

They want to enforce Obama-Biden's radical AFFH regulation that threatens to strip localities of federal affordable housing funds unless they change the zoning laws to fit the federal government's demands. So the AFFH is a disaster. It's been a disaster. It's ruining the suburbs, it's destroying the suburbs, it's bringing down values of houses, and it's bringing up crime and I will be telling you.

I think maybe, for just about the first time that I'm eliminating the AFFH. People are surprised to hear that but we're eliminating. When people work so hard to live in a certain community, we shouldn't be destroying that community. And everybody, they've worked hard, all. Race, color, creed, they want to be in a neighborhood, then all of a sudden, the government comes on. They want to destroy everything that they've built.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
This is now hitting letters-to-the-editor levels in my local paper. The writer blew the "Obama" and "economic integration" dogwhistles so hard I think he wore them out.

Meantime there hasn't been any exclusively single-family zoning in my city in over 15 years.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
A non-planner friend posted about this on FB the other day and I pointed out that this isn't exactly something the president can easily accomplish when zoning and etc. are primarily a local thing.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
On AFFH - I ran across a group that is opposed to it and states "But what they don't tell you is that by taking the money, you the suburbs will be forced to gentrify your neighborhoods with low-income racially diverse high density housing." That's... that's not gentrification.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just hate to see comments like this because all us working planners are going to start getting comments like Chairman just posted. I can't wait to see the fights over removing single-family zoning when most people have no clue what that means.

glutton

Cyburbian
" And old-fashioned incandescent lightbulbs — I brought them back. I brought them back. (Applause.) They have two nice qualities: They’re cheaper and they’re better. They look better, and they make you look so much better. That’s important to all of us. (Laughter.) But they’re better and much cheaper. And they were mandated out, legislated out. And we brought them back, and they’re selling like hotcakes."
Literally how anyone can spin bringing back incandescent lightbulbs into a good thing is beyond my comprehension. Also, literally, is there nothing more important going on that a President has to fill two paragraphs of his speech with something as trivial as lightbulbs...?

Last edited:

dw914er

Cyburbian
A non-planner friend posted about this on FB the other day and I pointed out that this isn't exactly something the president can easily accomplish when zoning and etc. are primarily a local thing.

I just hate to see comments like this because all us working planners are going to start getting comments like Chairman just posted. I can't wait to see the fights over removing single-family zoning when most people have no clue what that means.
Elected officials within the state of California have been looking to remove SFR zoning, so there does seem to be a push to remove those zoning decisions from the local level. This push may not end up at the federal level, but these actions certainly aligns with the rhetoric Trump is using against Democrat leadership.

DVD

Cyburbian
In California I can understand the statewide desire based on the housing issues, but I still think it should be a local decision. I can just imagine how many people will come out demanding the state not remove SFR zoning because you're going to destroy my neighborhood like the pres said. I'm more afraid is some place like Las Vegas of some other random city tries doing it. Can you imagine the council meeting? Glad it's not me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Down In The Polls, Trump Pitches Fear: 'They Want To Destroy Our Suburbs'

The 2015 regulation deals with racial segregation of housing and requires local municipalities to address historic patterns of it. But Trump warned last week that it would "destroy" the suburbs.

"He thinks it's basically the planned development of Levittown in the 1960s as opposed to today's suburbs, which are multiracial, diverse and highly educated," Matthews said.

What does suburban really mean?" Ernest McGowen, an associate professor of political science at the University of Richmond, asked rhetorically. "What does it mean as a thing? Is it a geography, or is it an identity?

dw914er

Cyburbian
In California I can understand the statewide desire based on the housing issues, but I still think it should be a local decision. I can just imagine how many people will come out demanding the state not remove SFR zoning because you're going to destroy my neighborhood like the pres said. I'm more afraid is some place like Las Vegas of some other random city tries doing it. Can you imagine the council meeting? Glad it's not me.
I actually think the states efforts will end up swinging California to the right; some of the laws are pretty crazy in my humble opinion. There are housing problems, and I think the some of the general concepts they want to accomplish are good, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: DVD

Tobinn

Cyburbian
Interestingly, I field calls quite often from folks who want to establish, effectively, a duplex in what it an SFR zoning district (LMDR - one of our most common residential districts). It's usually one of two scenarios: they want to convert a SFR into a duplex or they want to establish a mother-in-law unit for aging in place. The answer is always, "No."

I don't know on who's ears these desperate pleas for attention are falling. The SFR suburb is safe as can be in my neck of the woods; for better or for worse.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Or like where I live, they find out single-family zoning hasn't existed for over a decade.

DVD

Cyburbian
We still strongly enforce the single family zoning, but the contractors know the deal. Just don't show us a stove or label something bedroom and we're good.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
This is Trump the racist in the open: AFFH should help level the playing field for Black and Brown people (as well as other protected classes) to buy homes in neighborhoods with strong schools and stable property values. Trump can't stand the thought, and so, he'll do whatever he can to minimize AFFH. Ben Carson has played a significant role in trying to de-claw AFFH during his entire tenure at HUD, from what I've seen.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Which photo was published in your fair communities newspaper

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Racist in Chief tweets:

I am happy to inform all of the people living their Suburban Lifestyle Dream that you will no longer be bothered or financially hurt by having low income housing built in your neighborhood. . . . Your housing prices will go up based on the market, and crime will go down. I have rescinded the Obama-Biden AFFH Rule. Enjoy!
Let's break it down:
"...all of the people living their Suburban Lifestyle Dream ..." = White people
"...low income housing..." = Brown and Black people

Funny though, studies show the suburbs now pretty much reflect the national demographics in terms of residency by minorities. Trump must still think it is 1968, I guess.

landy

... beautiful and successful suburbs...
LOL! I'm not sure that I would call successful the areas responsible for stripping communities of all the places proven to increase happiness - parks, libraries, coffee shops, cafes, bars. A car is nearly always required to get to any of these third places - no bike/ped infrastructure. I would LOVE to have a coffee shop within walking distance of my suburban house!