• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Tuesday 3/23/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have been reading this 50-point guide to success, and one of them is to overcoming limits and working on improving qualities. It asks to list qualities that I have, and ones that I need to work on. So, I ask:

What qualities do you lack, but wish you had?

No being financial situations are not a quality…

For me, I wish I had the ability to focus on thing better (I think I have Adult ADD) and to trust people better.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I wish I was quicker with a witty repartee.
I am trying to speak more s- l- o- w- l- y to those who don't understand.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I would like to be able to make friends more easily. I don't cultivate work friends because that has not worked well in the past, and trusting people has been hard. Most of my close friends I have known since college.

Floridays

Cyburbian
I wish I had more patience and better organizational skills. Adult ADD? I'm a probable candidate! B-)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I also believe I have Adult ADD! I lose interest in things that are dull and repetitive at work.

I wish I was more organized. I seem to work best when pushed against a deadline.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I agree with the above postings.
and add
more self-confident, expressive in my writing.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I wish I had the "gift of gab." I can't BS my way through anything... and although my public speaking skills have improved, I can't always express myself verbally (at least not as convincingly as I'd like).

nerudite

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I would like to be able to make friends more easily. I don't cultivate work friends because that has not worked well in the past, and trusting people has been hard. Most of my close friends I have known since college.
I'll ditto this. While it's been easy for me to make friends at work in the past, I'm in a weird middle management position in my current job that makes it hard to find 'peers' to bond with at work or associate with outside of work. I only have one friend in Edmonton so far and a few other people that Elmo knows that we hang out with from time to time (his co-workers). I wish it were easier to meet cool people. Where are all the Alberta cyburbians... I need a laefest!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Where do I start? . . . I wish I was better at financial things. I don't mean having more money - just understanding financial issues, and being more organized with finances.

More confidence. More ambition. More energy. More ability to "shoot the sh&t" and be a people person.

Gee, thanks Mike, should I jump out the window or lay on the train tracks? [just kidding]

boiker

Cyburbian
i wkush ic ould tipe bet ter..

I wish that I would have more self confidence when tackling a new project... and be able to clearly realize realistic project completion timeframes.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
* I should mention that the project goes on to say that if you can list it, you can make a goal relating to it. By staying this is what I want to be... it allows us to envision it, and we can make little everyday goals that will allow us to work towards being the person we want to be. Think about small things that you can do to correct it, such as talking to a person standing in line at the store if you are shy, or going for a walk if you want to get in shape. Each day add onto that goal to continue progress, and rewarding your self if you continue to achieve those goals, you will start to possess the characteristics you desire.

(Trains not included)

mgk920

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I also believe I have Adult ADD! I lose interest in things that are dull and repetitive at work.

I wish I was more organized. I seem to work best when pushed against a deadline.
I wish that I was more self-confident. I have terrible troubles trying to force myself to do things like prepare and send out resumés (I always feel like I'm doing something wrong and am about to have it blow up in my face). Being painfully shy doesn't help, either. :-\

I was diagnosed as 'hyperactive' and wired on ritalin for most of my childhood, but I believe that I am more autistic than hyperactive. I work better when pushed against deadlines, too, but I also wholeheartedly subscribe to the 'clean desk = messy mind' philosophy. ;-)

I would not be surprized if nearly every planner, engineer, etc, would quickly lose interest in dull, repetitive tasks. That's why we don't work in factories. :)

Mike

mgk920 said:
I would not be surprized if nearly every planner, engineer, etc, would quickly lose interest in dull, repetitive tasks. That's why we don't work in factories. :)

Mike
Yes, it is called 'intelligence'.

Last edited:
I couldn't think of anything I wanted to improve. Today's events reminded me of one thing I am trying to improve: learning how to initiate threads in forums. I pretty well suck at it. And not just here in this forum.

I actually think the thread I started today went pretty darn well. :-D Frankly, it boggles my mind that Mike manages to start a new and lively thread every single day. Not one of my talents.