• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Tuesday 3/9/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s noontime question is in honor of all things travel. I have always wanted to go to Ireland or Europe, and I decided that I am going to go some time in 2005. Not sure when, but I am going to take a week or so, and have fun. I am also thinking about backpacking around the country.

Have you gone to the one place that you have always wanted to see, if so please post pictures and thoughts on it… if not, where would you like to go and what would you like to see?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'd like to visit Tahiti, New Zealand, France and England

Rob and I never took a honey moon, so we've decided that as soon as we're done having kids and the last one is weaned, we're going on an all out vacation (ok - so it isn't for at least another 5 years, but we've already started saving). we're each putting two of our dream vacations in a hat and picking one.
My two are:
Alaska or
Great Britain (England/Ireland/Scotland)

I think his are Australia and Hawaii. so we'll see where we end up.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I wanted to go to Glacier National Park and finally got a chance to go last summer, which happened to be when it was on fire. :( Here is what most of my photos look like:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Someday I would like to explore Larne in N. Ireland to find some of my roots.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Spain for our honeymoon. It was great and I didn't want to come back. I wonder how the job market is there for non-Spanish speaking planners.

I still have to see most parts of this country. I'd like to see every part of the world but some priorities would be Italy, Freedom (France), Ireland, Kiev, & Israel.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Mr. Plannerbabs and I never took a honeymoon, either, and he's always wanted to go Paris. The last time I was there was years ago, and it was only for a couple of days. This time, we'll stay at least a week, and he's been talking about Venice, too. We'll probably try to go in the next couple of years.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The one building I hope to see: La Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona, Spain
The one country I hope to visit: Russia, especially St. Petersburg (Petrograd)

kms

Cyburbian
Great Britain for me.

My daughter had to turn down a trip to Paris and Italy this summer. I wish that trip for her sometime.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My vacation dream would be to spend a few weeks exploring Germany and/or Ireland/Scotland. Someday.....

Bangorian

I recently returned from a 3-week honeymoon in Portugal, which was absolutely fantastic.

We went from bustling metropolises (Lisbon, Porto) and tiny mountain villages where people still live in thatched-rooved stone houses (where the lower floor is for goats and chickens and the upper floor is for people) with no running water or electricity. 8-! From the sunny beaches of the algarve to the olive groves and cork oaks of the Alentejo to the craggy peaks of the Serra Da Peneda, its one beautiful (and relatively undeveloped) country.

Its a very mountainous place as well, and you just can't beat the $2 bottles of delicious Portuguese wine! :-D

I'll post a picture or two one of these days.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I had always wanted to visit Pompeii in Italy, and in 1999 I was studying aboard in Italy and went to see Pompeii.

It is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced.

BTW, this is the Villa Corsi-Salviati:

This was my home for the six weeks I spent on my Study Aboard program. It is in Sesto Fiorentino outside Florence.

Here is Florence:

Michele Zone

BANNED
I think I started out with 2 travel goals: 1)get out of my hometown and 2) go to Germany.

Germany was our second duty station, a mere 18 months out of basic training. We went and visited a bunch of castles and some Roman ruins (my hubby is a big fan or Roman history). I have a gazillion of German castles, so many that I could start my own thread. Do you really want me to dig out my scanner and inundate the forum with this stuff? :-0

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
The summer before I went to Planning School, I researched formal gardens in France and spent two weeks seeing the most beautiful formal gardens and chateaus in France. Drank alot too.

biscuit

Cyburbian
If I could only do one thing the rest of my life it would be travel. I love going to new places and having new experiences. Because there are so many locations I've never been it would be impossible to name only one I would want to visit. After seeing the photos posted by JNL, REM and the other down under Cyburbanites I would have to say that New Zealand and Australia would be near the top of my list - I really want to take the new train from Adelaide to Darwin and see the countryside of the South Island.

Other places I would like to visit include South Africa, Argentina, Ireland, Iceland, Slovenia, and a few other European countries I didn't get to go to before. And for some strange reason I'd also like to see Newfoundland...why? I have no idea.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hmmmm I wonder if I could get a job working for Lonely Planet... or some other show on the travel channel...

otterpop

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I wanted to go to Glacier National Park and finally got a chance to go last summer, which happened to be when it was on fire. :( QUOTE]

Bummer, Repo Man. Glacier is my favorite place on Earth. My family and I are going this summer. Hopefully last year's fire's will mean a bountiful crop of fireweed this year.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have been to many of the places in the US that I have wanted to visit. The exception is the northeast, Alaska, and some of our Canadian colonies.

France and Italy are on my European list. I's like to spend a month in the south of France, driving, biking and hiking from small village to small village. As for italy, Rome and the coast as well as the ruins.

New Zealand!

Dragon

Cyburbian
I've always wanted to visit Japan, Britain, Germany, France, Spain.....heck all of Europe. I've seen so many pictures of the beautiful country side, the cities, and historical sites that I decided I needed to see some of it for myself.

JNL

Cyburbian
Cool to see so many votes for New Zealand :)

michaelskis said:
I have always wanted to go to Ireland or Europe, and I decided that I am going to go some time in 2005. Not sure when, but I am going to take a week or so, and have fun. I am also thinking about backpacking around the country.
Dude... Europe in 1 week?????? I am going in June for 6 weeks and I think I will only scratch the surface of all the things to see and do there. I will take my camera so can report back on cool places to visit etc :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Cool to see so many votes for New Zealand :)

Dude... Europe in 1 week?????? I am going in June for 6 weeks and I think I will only scratch the surface of all the things to see and do there. I will take my camera so can report back on cool places to visit etc :)

Ok I might need to make it two weeks...

But I know that I can not do 6 weeks.

JNL

Cyburbian
I'm going to take leave without pay. So am saving hard at the moment!

JNL

Cyburbian
I'm looking into tickets at the moment... not much more expensive for a 'round the world' ticket which means extra stopovers where I choose......

JNL

Cyburbian
Will think about it

I've never met someone I've gotten to know over the internet before 8-! You hear stories....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know... you have a good point... I may have to put togeather an application and to a back ground check on you first...

Have you ever been convicted of a major crime?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Will think about it

I've never met someone I've gotten to know over the internet before 8-! You hear stories....
I know, what kind of guy is this michaelskis, an all around nice guy, or deeply complex evil stalker ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Now what's the fun in that? ;-)
It's all about context. I answered in the context of convictions for major crimes ;)

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Either this summer or next I want to go on a 10 day volcano tour in Central America. Check this out for other cool trips... :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella and I would love to visit the following places, just to name a few:

- Africa (in particular, Egypt)
- Holland (land of Tulips, widmills, and wooden clogs) and other European cities
- Hawaii (need I say more)
- Alaska (need I say more)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michaelskis.....you can "practice" for your trip by visiting "The Irish Hills", located northwest of Adrian, Michigan, not far from where you are now stationed. Named as such by settlers from Ireland who thought the rolling green hills looked like home. Not much cookin' in that area except many lakes with expensive cottages. I bass fish in "The Irish Hills" quite often.

RepoMan.....I have been to Glacier National Park twice. Amazing beauty. On my first trip, my honeymoon in 1973, we were poor and traveling in a Jeep CJ-5, eating peanut butter sandwiches, and sleeping in a tent. We were camped at the Apgar Campground and decided to "get a beer and a burger" in town. The bar had a book rack. The book rack included a book called "Night Of The Grizzly", a true account of a bear attacking (and killing) campers at Glacier. The cover of the book was a map of Apgar Campground. We didn't sleep well that night.

Cardinal.....Looks like our Canadian friends are not paying attention, ehh? Maybe too busy with planning issues in "the colonies".

Bear still wants to go to: Australia, Alaska, Lithuania, Russia, Poland, Lake Of the Woods (MN), Maritime Provinces (oops, "colonies").

Bear's wife wants to go to: Mall Of America.

Not Travelin' Today Bear

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Travel is a big priority for me. There are lots of places I want to visit in my lifetime. I took a lesser salary increase in exchange for more vacation days so I could pursue some of my dreams.

A few years back, my husband and I went to Scotland. After seeing the picture below (assuming this attachment works) in a book on the Scottish Highlands, I decided I had to go there... and we did! It was my first time overseas, but my husband spent several years living in Germany and England. I'd like to Germany or Ireland next. Or maybe Tuscany. Or France? So many destinations, so little time.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNL - Come to Chicago! Several of the Cyburbians from at least Illnoise, Michigan, and Wisconsin will make it an excuse for a regional Laefest. Chicago is a great city to spend some time in.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Germany
Rest of Europe
China
Brazil
Venezuela
NZ
Australia
and the list goes on and on...

But I'm planning a trip to europe. Maybe soon...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
from all the input from planners in the mid west... I would like to propose a mid west cyburbia meeting some weekend soon... please let me know if you are interested... I think that we should hold it some place in Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids being that it is the center of the mid west.

Rem

Cyburbian
I've been lucky to do some travelling but it is very difficult to say what is best. Maybe NZ (don't tell JNL), Lord Howe Island, Scotland, France (don't tell the French), Italy and any of the Nordic countries. Bali and Fiji are wonderful too.

I've never been to the US/Canada/South America. Would probably like to go there on my next big trip. I've been to Ireland but fleetingly and would like to go back to explore some family roots.

biscuit said:
After seeing the photos posted by JNL, REM and the other down under Cyburbanites I would have to say that New Zealand and Australia would be near the top of my list - I really want to take the new train from Adelaide to Darwin and see the countryside of the South Island.
I think it makes sense to visit both Australia and NZ if you make the trek down here. The new train is called the Ghan (after the Afghan camel drivers that used to ply the route). I'm waiting for JNL to bite about the North Island snub. ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Cardinal said:
JNL - Come to Chicago! Several of the Cyburbians from at least Illnoise, Michigan, and Wisconsin will make it an excuse for a regional Laefest. Chicago is a great city to spend some time in.
Don't forget about us in Indiana, we're in part of that region too.
We would be there even if we were an hour early or an hour late.

Michaelskis said:
from all the input from planners in the mid west... I would like to propose a mid west cyburbia meeting some weekend soon... please let me know if you are interested... I think that we should hold it some place in Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids being that it is the center of the mid west.
what about in Indy for Region IV Conference October 13-15, 2004?
?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNA said:
what about in Indy for Region IV Conference October 13-15, 2004?
?
That could be a good idea!

I don't know if I ever got information on anything other than the national confrences.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
By the way, those of you in CT, NY, & NJ watch for new Rhode Island tourism commercials coming soon - they show a red Mini Cooper driving through scenic spots - I guess its the "good things come in small packages" angle. I'll be expecting you after they have their effect. ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I'm thinking of travelling June/July/August... need to book soon.. how long should I come for? Who's got room on their couch and is not hiding a secret psychosis?

Hey- I could do a travel diary on Cyburbia, with photos and comments and pics of Cyburbanites I meet....

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I've been lucky to do some travelling but it is very difficult to say what is best. Maybe NZ (don't tell JNL),
Thank you :p

I'm waiting for JNL to bite about the North Island snub. ;-)
No snub, I think I remember a past conversation about NZ in which biscuit expressed an interest in the countryside of the South Island as opposed to the cities and beaches of the North.