• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Two Spanish Cities

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Two Spanish cities, on the coast, not far apart.

Valencia, 19th Century, buildings are walls that define spaces in the city:

Benidorm, 20th Century, buildings as points in space (except in foreground of first pic, which preserves a 19th Century pattern), inevitable with high-rises:

jresta

Cyburbian
ugggghhh - it's like comparing Paris to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm sticking with Valencia - or as they say in Spain - Bal-en-THEE-ah

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Wow, what a contrast. Is Benidorm like some of the coastal French towns, like Le Grande Motte, that grew up around the tourism industry? Great pics of Valencia. I have family there, and it's nice to see what it looks like (they never send photos).

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Only 35,000 permanent residents in Benidorm. The rest are British tourists.

All those highrises...the most per capita.

Valencia has been described as "the most gorgeous city on the planet."

inspired!

Ablarc, what gorgeous pictures of Valencia! They inspire me to start studying to improve my Spanish... Nah...(Maybe a few more pictures of it might...)
I wonder what it would be like to be a planner in that city...

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
chihwunk, some cities you just point your camera and it comes out that way. I think Buenos Aires and Budapest are a lot like that--and of course, Paris. Beaux-Arts cities all, along with Valencia.