• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Two Truths and a Lie

nerudite

Cyburbian
I so need a turn... I think I got Planderella's right, too:

1) I was jumped on by an adult tiger in a restaurant at the tender age of two. My father saw my feet and pulled me out before I was totally covered in tiger slobber. We got a free meal out of it, but we never went back.

2) The first time I got drunk was also at the tender age of two. The story goes that I was at a mexican restaurant and kept asking everyone at the dinner party for a sip of their margarita. Nobody knew that anyone else had given me a sip, until I started puking and everyone figured out that I was drunk.

3) When I was four I helped my mom set the table for thanksgiving dinner, and I was upset that two of the napkins were white and all the others were brown. In order to make the two white napkins brown, I decided to put them in the toaster. I ended up ruining the toaster, but my mom was impressed at the logic behind the debacle.

nerudite said:
I so need a turn... I think I got Planderella's right, too:

1) I was jumped on by an adult tiger in a restaurant at the tender age of two. My father saw my feet and pulled me out before I was totally covered in tiger slobber. We got a free meal out of it, but we never went back.

2) The first time I got drunk was also at the tender age of two. The story goes that I was at a mexican restaurant and kept asking everyone at the dinner party for a sip of their margarita. Nobody knew that anyone else had given me a sip, until I started puking and everyone figured out that I was drunk.

3) When I was four I helped my mom set the table for thanksgiving dinner, and I was upset that two of the napkins were white and all the others were brown. In order to make the two white napkins brown, I decided to put them in the toaster. I ended up ruining the toaster, but my mom was impressed at the logic behind the debacle.

nerudite

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

SGB is the winner on this one... we were never offered a free dinner. The tiger thing is true... my dad was so pissed that he had to pay the entire bill (but a free dessert was offered), that we never went back. It was the tiger in the Ban d'soleil billboard ads (excuse my spelling).

nerudite said:

Totally true

nerudite said:

Totally true.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I feel like I've been passed over...noone is even guessing on mine. :(

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
1. My wife works with developmentally disabled adults.

2. I have met in person cyburbia members bturk, prudence, bullwinkle, peter lowitt, seabishop, and joe iliff.

3. My boss played professional football for the Kansas City Chiefs before becoming a planner.

Sorry Tim, it got lost.

I'm guessing #2 is the lie. I doubt you met bullwinkle

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
I feel like I've been passed over...noone is even guessing on mine. :(

Ok, I'll go with #3 for yours, I know that at least part of #2 is true

Planderella

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

2. I have met in person cyburbia members bturk, prudence, bullwinkle, peter lowitt, seabishop, and joe iliff.

3. My boss played professional football for the Kansas City Chiefs before becoming a planner.

I say number 2.

Jeff

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

Bullwinkle is a legend around these here parts. I'll say #2 is the lie.

SGB

Cyburbian
Speaking of being passed over....

Originally posted by SGB on 1/12/03
1) I was actively involved in theater throughout high school and college, but never in an acting role.

2) I once met my indentical (not biological) twin on a religious ski retreat.

3) I have not successfully kept to my my second New Year's resolution.

Tranplanner incorrectly guessed #3.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Since I have to leave to pick up Kylie at school....

This one is actually the lie....she USED to work with developmentally disabled adults at Easter Seals. She has since become an administrative assistant for a chimney restoration/sweep company.

I met bturk and prudence at APA National in Chicago, Bullwinkle used to be the planner in Plymouth, NH and is a fellow BSU alum, peter lowitt was the former director of planning here and was my boss when I was an intern, seabishop I met at a MassAPA workshop last winter, and joe iliff is another fellow BSU'er that graduated the year before I did.

My boss was a running back for the Chiefs in the early 80's, after setting several records at the University of New Hampshire. His father also played for the Boston Patriots.

Gotta go....this thread continues to be the most interesting on the site...hope to play again tomorrow!

SGB

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
anyone for #1 before I reveal the lie?

I know you're boss played for the NFL, but I can't remember the team. (I'm a former NNECAPA planner.)

I'll go with #1.

Re: Speaking of being passed over....

SGB said:

Tranplanner incorrectly guessed #3.
SGB - totally missed that one, but that's what you get for posting on sunday! i vote for #1!

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Speaking of being passed over....

KMateja said:

SGB - totally missed that one, but that's what you get for posting on sunday! i vote for #1!

KMateja, you WIN. I had a small acting part in a production of Born Yesterday during high school.

I otherwise did backstage work on about 10 other productions.

I was a total theater girl in high school - although i always loved my fellow cast mates, it was the crew guys that were the most fun!

NHPlanner

Staff member
SGB said:

I know you're boss played for the NFL, but I can't remember the team. (I'm a former NNECAPA planner.)

I'll go with #1.

Where were you a planner? I may have to add you to the list of cyburbia members I've met....

SGB

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

Where were you a planner? I may have to add you to the list of cyburbia members I've met....

Responded off-board. Check your office email.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
I had to revive this one because my husband and I had way too much fun on here in the past twenty minutes!!:)

My two truths and lie....

1. My parents are distant relatives

2. My husband and I drive identical cars, make, model, color, and year.

3. Before we met, I attended the same two colleges as my husbands two brothers.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I guess #2. I don't know why... that just seems strange to me. But maybe that's just because I've never seen it before... well except in the 80s the yuppies that lived next door had the matching cars with the matching license plates: GR8M8 and GR8M8 2. I'll never forget that.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
You are correct, but it is not a lie by much...we do drive identical cars, but they are not the same year.

Your turn!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mary Poppins said:
You are correct, but it is not a lie by much...we do drive identical cars, but they are not the same year.

Your turn!

Oh man... I'll have to think on that one. I'll get back to ya tomorrow. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's hard to think up stuff that nobody knows about... especially from KMateja. She has a mind like a steel trap. Anything you ever mention here, and she could quote it back to you months later. So watch what you say. ;)

I'm off to bake cookies... gonna be domestic and all that jazz. I'll think up some good truths and lies for tomorrow.

Say hi back! Oh yeah... and in July I get to go to Nova Scotia for the first time... my b.f. is from there and we are going to visit his home (and go to a CIP conference too... heh). After hearing how much you both loved it, I just wanted to visit even more. :)

Hasta!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay Mary P... I'm ready now

This is the nickname edition of the game. I am going to reveal nicknames from various stages of my life (well, the clean and/or not-embarassing nicknames at least) and the stories behind them, and you pick the fake one.

Destructo: Before the age of 10, I had a way of killing things... fish, televisions, toasters, etc. As an example: One time I was watching a 7-up commercial in the '70s (I was maybe four years old), and this guy on t.v. was crawling through the desert pleading for water... so I poured a full can (the short 8 oz. cans mind you) of 7-up into the slatted plastic top of the television ... Destructo! (The 7-up can all so recurs in the fishtank story where I share my favorite drink with my favorite pets.)

Felix: When I was around 13 years old, I really disliked my family and would try to stay away from the house as much as possible. At one point I was carrying an Esprit tote bag (oh my gawd!) full of clothes, sundries, etc. to school each day on the off-chance I could spend a night at my bestfriend's house. So it became my magic bag of tricks... and there you go...

Doogie: I have been a planner since I was 19, and I graduated from University when I was 20. Right around that time (1990), one of my older co-workers thought it was funny that I couldn't go out for beers after Council meetings since I was still under 21. And the whole Doogie thing started...

Pick my nicks.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Okay Mary P... I'm ready now

nerudite said:
...one of my older co-workers thought it was funny that I couldn't go out for beers after Council meetings...

I thought we were unusual in that we almost always go out for drinks (and fried foods) after Council and Plan Board meetings. How many others also make this a habit?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I liked the first one - destructo - that was too funny :)

I say the 2nd one - Felix.

I *wish* we would go have some cocktails after meetings, but alas, it would be only myself, and I haven't resorted to frequenting bars by myself yet.

nerudite said:
It's hard to think up stuff that nobody knows about... especially from KMateja. She has a mind like a steel trap. Anything you ever mention here, and she could quote it back to you months later. So watch what you say. ;)

hee! you totally made my morning!

and i think the doogie is the lie - i'm pretty sure you graduated young, but not *that* young.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner wins!

Destructo was the lie... well, the nickname at least. I really did all those things.

Only my bestfriend called me Felix, it wasn't a widespread thing. And Doogie is unfortunately true... right around the same time I had a supervisor that also took to calling me "princess" in a sarcastic tone whenever I whined about a customer or something.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Sound Of A Pried-Open Thread.....

Creek.....prying open this old thread. Let's see who has been paying attention.....

1. This Bear pitched a no-hitter in a Little League All-Star Game.
2. This Bear skinny-dipped at a hotel pool in suburban Cleveland.
3. This Bear had a fish hook removed from a body part by hospital folks.

Bear