• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Ugh! Dreaming of Duany?!

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Wow, I had a freaky dream last night: I dreamed my company scored a client that wanted to update its zoning ordinance!! Work must be getting to me! Anyway, the client had just finished up work with DPZ and was totally dissatisfied with the Transect work his company did! In my dream, I actually held their newly adopted ordinance and the City Manager told me that it didn't suit his community. I vividly remember flipping through the document and seeing all these graphics and drawings! Whoah! Weird. First time I ever dreamed weird crap like this. What about you?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I had a dream once where I was driving through a city and all the buildings had hatching on the outside that matched the corresponding land use in the General Plan. Multifamily had one type of dots on the outside, commercial building had diagonals, etc. (or something like that). That week I had spent a lot of time revising the future land use map for Davis, and it got to me I guess.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I often have dreams where the entire city is flat, as if it were seen in aerials, and the zoning, comp plan, and neighborhood plans are overlaid, but it's all completely wrong, like the historic districts are coded for heavy industrial and the regional commercial centers are coded for low-density residential, and I have to defend the rezonings in front of the board. I always dream about work. Does that ever stop? 8-!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
While I was writing my thesis, I would wake up in the middle of the night dreaming of editing whole pages (pretty accurately, too, if I remember). Now, I'm pretty good at letting work stay at work so I can spend quality time with my kiddoes.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You need to stop reading Suburban Nation as bedtime reading… or lay off the crack before bed.

I keep having nightmares about living in Reading PA still. (Had one last night). I am walking though town with the Deputy Director of Neighborhood Services, and the Historic Preservationist (both I would consider friends)
Well, in the dream Reading looks like it had been bombed or something (not too far off from what it looks like now) and I just keep having overwhelming feelings that I have to do something to save it. I think I look back at leaving with guilt… kind of watching a building burn, knowing that there is nothing you can do to save it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I dunno, but the day I have a dream where I'm doing mental acrobatics like 'Ok, mallard duck surgical facilities are not listed as a principle permitted use in the business districts, but I see doctors offices are listed in office zones and that carries over into business zones - oh but wait, veterinary clinics are considered a conditional use in business zones....' is the day I quit my day job! I wish the Beasty Boys would do some more videos and then I could quit this whole planing gig TODAY. :cool:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nothing about Duany in my sleep so far.

However, at least once a weel I'll have a dream where I'm in grad school, and it's getting towards the end of the second year. I'll either realize that:

1) There's a class I signed up for that I completely forgot about, missed all the work, and the final is in a couple of days, or

2) I didn't take one of the courses that is required for graduation.

When I was in CO, I used to have endless work dreams, where I had site plan after site plan after site plan tossed across my desk, and I couldn't escape. I'd wake up, sometimes go to the bathroom, go back to bed, and the dream would pick up where it left off! It involves a lot of the mental acrobatics Maister described.

I've also had dreams of looking at a map of Buffalo, and the street grid looks oddly different than reality; major streets were mostly intact, but expressways are in different locations, there were new parks, or the bulk of suburban sprawl is to the south instead of the north.

boiker

Cyburbian
When I worked for an engineering company I would often talk in my sleep and argue with my wife about the correct layer the sewer line should be on.

SO: I love you, g'night.
ME (unconcious): No! It's on the wrong layer. It's a buildnigsnerujar....(snore).

I have had dreams where I've been assigned to ressurect my hometown. I had a dream that i actually got complimented for uphodling and enforcing historic guidelines.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Dan said:
1) There's a class I signed up for that I completely forgot about, missed all the work, and the final is in a couple of days, or

Oh man! I had these exact same dreams back around Christmas time!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:

I still have the occasional dream/nightmare about being in the middle of a final exam and having to go to the washroom. There is a huge line in the washroom and by the time I get back, the test is over and I fail/don't graduate. College wasn't very stressful for me (that I remember), so I don't know what the deal is with this recurring dream...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My urban planning dreams always include my hometown for some reason. I dream that I am walking around the city and I venture into the older part of the city. The built environment consists of a dense urban framework that looks way too much like a less stylized version of Tim Burton's Gotham from Batman. It's full of beautiful architecture that is grungy and has alot of deferred maintenance, but still very impressive.

The strange part about the dreams is that my hometown was a small city with a pop. of 12,000 and about 1,200 per square mile.

I guess I'm trying, subconsciously, to cross my hometown with circa 1970 Chicago.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Dan said:

WOW... I have that those all the time too!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I did, however, have a dream the other day that I was supposed to be reviewing this plot plan to ensure zoning compliance for a new house and that the maximum 5 day review turnaround time had already passed......but then Michaelskis woke me up, said it was after 5:00 and that I should go home..... :-D

BKM

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Nothing about Duany in my sleep so far.

However, at least once a weel I'll have a dream where I'm in grad school, and it's getting towards the end of the second year. I'll either realize that:

1) There's a class I signed up for that I completely forgot about, missed all the work, and the final is in a couple of days,
My God, I've had the exact same dream. Mine is even more specific: I dream that I forgot to attend a math course and completely failed!

biscuit

Cyburbian
BKM said:
My God, I've had the exact same dream. Mine is even more specific: I dream that I forgot to attend a math course and completely failed!
I've had this one a good bit in the past. I'm always mixed up about a class or forgeting about a final and I end up failing. Usually it's been in college but on more than a couple of occasions it's taken place with me back in high school, only I'm still the age I am now and I'm missing class because I'm making out with some random girl from back in the day.

Weird

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have lots of dreams that include people I work with, but only a very occasional work dream. The last one involved being berated by the chair of the Planning Commission, and in another recent one I was at a Planning conference.

I have the exam/school dream, too, but in mine I can't find the classroom.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
UGG I just read an RFP for Grand Rapids that was all about transects and blah blah and I just thought, "this job would suck" and walked away.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Maister said:
I did, however, have a dream the other day that I was supposed to be reviewing this plot plan to ensure zoning compliance for a new house and that the maximum 5 day review turnaround time had already passed......but then Michaelskis woke me up, said it was after 5:00 and that I should go home..... :-D
UMMM TMI guys

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I do have those dreams from time to time, where I thought I was the opposing mayoral canidate, telling the incumbant how much he sucked.

I think I'l be getting into the political scene shortly, with initial runs and information at the end of march.

OT: Has anybody ever had dreams of killing other people? Man I have, it was pretty insane B-)

Michele Zone

BANNED
Why do you guys do this? (Tempt me to play amateur psychologist, that is.) Dreams are a symbolic language. It is sort of your brain in DOS mode. :-D Most of the time, a dream about "missing a class" is about not having learned a "life lesson" that you feel you need to learn. :-c

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Planning Issues generally dont haunt my dreams generally because I tend to tackle them and bootle them them up in my mind before I go to sleep.
I also try to read some light entertaining stuff before sleeping( never planning stuff).

The dreams I have had are after long sessions of digitisation( doing or monitoring).
I can't make those dangling ends/nodes to join how much ever I try to( Typical Arc/Info, AutoCad dream)

The last issue which troubled me a little in sleep was;
While making the Comprehensive Plan for a large New City last year, we had proposed a huge No development and Afforestation zone all along a major drinking water source of my city.
I used to get images of large developments right upto the water front.
Of course they also mean that theer are large powerful groups wanting it to happen in reality to.
Its a fight really.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I almost never have work dreams, but geography dreams are a constant.

Recently dreams about spiders have been common. Last night I was watching someone cook pancakes with a big spider underneath. :-#

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
Why do you guys do this? (Tempt me to play amateur psychologist, that is.) Dreams are a symbolic language. It is sort of your brain in DOS mode. :-D
Go ahead, analyze away!

Seriously, I would like to know what you think of my dream.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
Go ahead, analyze away!

It's probably something along the lines of what MZ suggested. I know that for me boot camp was one of the yuckier experiences I went through, yet for years after I had dreams about 'going back' and 'doing it right'. Logically, I would think I would want to get it behind me, but evidently there was probably some sort of unresolved issue (likely the case with any recurrent dream theme) with proving myself as a young man.
The trouble with all dream analysis is that while one might have wonderful theories about what a dream symbol or theme 'means', there is no way to prove or affirm it. :-\

Michele Zone

BANNED
mendelman said:
My urban planning dreams always include my hometown for some reason. I dream that I am walking around the city and I venture into the older part of the city. The built environment consists of a dense urban framework that looks way too much like a less stylized version of Tim Burton's Gotham from Batman. It's full of beautiful architecture that is grungy and has alot of deferred maintenance, but still very impressive.

The strange part about the dreams is that my hometown was a small city with a pop. of 12,000 and about 1,200 per square mile.

I guess I'm trying, subconsciously, to cross my hometown with circa 1970 Chicago.
You asked:
Dreaming of your "hometown" is probably dreaming of your "self". I sometimes dream that I live someplace that is a town in, say, Germany but it is located in Georgia (or whatever -- Kansas can be part of the mix too). I have lived in Germany and my mom is German but I was born and raised in Georgia. Kansas is the place we owned a home and it felt like "home". It is kind of like that saying "You can take the girl out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the girl." It doesn't matter where I live, my GRITS upbringing will always be a part of me.

Venturing into the older part of the city could be about growing older, or about visiting an "old" issue (from the past), or about some part of your life that is "older" in some way. Time and dates have personal meaning in dreams. So, "1970's Chicago" probably has some kind of personal meaning for you.

If you kept a notepad and pen next to your bed and jotted some things down before you are fully awake, that can be like a "direct line" into the subconscious. If you write enough your dreams down, you can begin to piece together some of the meanings of symbols that recur regularly in your dreams -- dreams are a symbolic language and are often "puns". I know that when I dream about bugs, it often means something is "bugging me". I believe that art appeals to people because it taps into the typically visual language of meaningful imagery -- wordless meaning -- of the subconsious mind of most people. Not everyone thinks quite like that. And I wonder if dreams are, perhaps, the left brain speaking to the right brain or something like that, and not merely the meanderings of the subconscious mind.

I kept a dream diary for many years and I still sometimes do dream interpretations for friends. :-D

BKM

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Why do you guys do this? (Tempt me to play amateur psychologist, that is.) Dreams are a symbolic language. It is sort of your brain in DOS mode. :-D Most of the time, a dream about "missing a class" is about not having learned a "life lesson" that you feel you need to learn. :-c
Is there a "Life Lesson" in a Statistics course? 8-!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I don't generally have those types of dreams anymore. What does happen sometimes, is my brain keeps working on a difficult problem and I often wake up in an Ah hah! moment with the problem solved. Apparently my subconscious is better at problem solving.

Michele Zone

BANNED
BKM said:
Is there a "Life Lesson" in a Statistics course? 8-!
It could be fretting about money -- or, more likely (based on repeated comments of yours) -- you are worried that you will become a "statistic" because you haven't "learned your lesson yet" (your sweet tooth, whatever -- the potential health problems you often refer to).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
I wonder if dreams are, perhaps, the left brain speaking to the right brain or something like that, and not merely the meanderings of the subconscious mind.
I know I said that there is no way to 'prove' what a particular dream symbol means, but I guess I should amend that by saying there is no way to objectively prove what a dream means. By this I mean in the sense of saying "when you dream of fish it means that you're subconsciously wanting a baby, or you are going to come into some money in the future, or want to make new friends...." or some such similar lame nonsense. There are whole books devoted to the 'objective' meanings of different dream objects and I think they are of questionable value even as entertainment.
Now, what I think we all kind of inuitively realize is that dreams have some subjective significance to the dreamer, but I think it is problematic to assign the same meaning to other individuals.
Another thing is that there are different classes or types of dreams. I think everybody knows the type of dreams where there is such an obvious association with a recent object event (e.g. dream about dogs after buying a new puppy or having a dream where one is 'in' a movie one has seen recently) that one can explain them as the brain simply processing data or taking out the mental trash. Then there are those dreams where you know there is some significance in its meaning. I think it's an emotional valuation ultimately.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Maister said:
. There are whole books devoted to the 'objective' meanings of different dream objects and I think they are of questionable value even as entertainment.
Now, what I think we all kind of inuitively realize is that dreams have some subjective significance to the dreamer, but I think it is problematic to assign the same meaning to other individuals.
There is a lot of truth to what you are saying: I find books that list "definitive" meanings for specific dream symbols to be bunk. And there are problems with trying to interpret the dreams of someone you do not know real well. But, there are certain symbols which seem to have "universal" meaning (not truly universal but if we all speak English and all have similar cultural backgrounds -- to include exposure to school situations, for example -- then there is a certain commonality), kind of like Jungian Archetypes.

Dreaming of 'missing a class' is an extremely common dream, from what I understand. And, of course, the brain does just do a certain amount of "processing", kind of like "mental digestion". And some dreams aren't very 'deep' in meaning: if you are sick, fever-induced dreams may be kind of GIGO in nature: just sort of 'gibberish' of an overheated brain.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I remember reading this thread a few days back and I just had a dream where I missed the deadline for handing in my thesis. I'm going nuts, work all day then work on that once I get home, and I've been working on it every weekend. Its starting to consume me :-c .