• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Ugliest of the Ugly Cars, Part II

biscuit

Cyburbian
In This Thread we voted on and discussed what we as Cyburbians thought were the ugliest cars in the world - That chop job of a Fiat still gets my vote. Anyway, after much debate the thread was eventually closed. And as much as I know we shouldn't be bringing up dead old and/or closed threads, I saw one of these on the street the other day and immediately knew that it belonged in the company of that thread.

Behold the hideousness that is the Toyota built Scion X-B

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
looks amazingly like another vehicle which has found its way into Americana....
But no one ever accused the Griswold family of being too cool.

Attachments

nerudite

Cyburbian
Uggggh. I agree, that *is* one fugly vehicle. That's even worse than the Honda Element to me.

martini

Cyburbian
Oh, I dunno. Yes, its ugly, but like the Honda Element, its ugly enough to be kinda cool. In a boxy Volvo-esque kind of way. I like boxes. I hate Taurus' and their ilk.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Maister said:
looks amazingly like another vehicle which has found its way into Americana....
The truckster! The funniest part of that scene was when they tried to get their old car back and it was crushed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Who could forget ... The Homer!

I see Honda Elements all over the road here. It seems like it's a politically correct replacement for the SUV; the majority look like they're driven by soccer moms.

The Taurus isn't really what I'd call an ugly car -- it was ahead of its time when it was first introduced in the late 1980s -- but something about it now just screams "city motor pool".

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Dan said:
I see Honda Elements all over the road here. It seems like it's a politically correct replacement for the SUV; the majority look like they're driven by soccer moms.
I see them quite frequently here as well. But my observation is that they are being driven by soccer grandmothers.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Dan said:
The Taurus isn't really what I'd call an ugly car -- it was ahead of its time when it was first introduced in the late 1980s -- but something about it now just screams "city motor pool".
Yep, we have a lot of them in our city motor pool, most are 1998-2001 models. Previously we had new Chevy Corsicas.

But back when I first started we had to drive around old mid'80s K-cars and Sunbird wagons. These things were already crap even when they were less than five years old. Some of them are still around, believe it or not, rotting in the parking lot because no one can find the keys!

Floridays

Cyburbian
I've seen a few of these and I think they are extremely ugly (sorry if any of y'all own one! :-$ )
What's up with the slanted back window? It's just...weird!

Attachments

Floridays

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
I've seen a few of these and I think they are extremely ugly (sorry if any of y'all own one! :-$ )
What's up with the slanted back window? It's just...weird!
It's a Pontiac Aztec, if you don't recognize it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Not necessarily ugly, but damn nostalgic. For those outside North America, it's probably difficult to grasp that cars here used to be bigger than they are now.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Dan,

Those are beautiful and sad pics! They make be sad. I lament the demise of the full-size station wagon. :( (RIP - Caprice Classic)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Not necessarily ugly, but damn nostalgic. For those outside North America, it's probably difficult to grasp that cars here used to be bigger than they are now.

Remove the wood paneling and white letter tires, call it a 1978 LTD instead of a Country Squire, and that was my first car when I got my drivers license in 1987.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Wow, the wood-paneled boat. I have fond memories of fighting with friends over who got to sit in the "way-back", or third seat. Seems incredibly dangerous now, I don't remember if the way-back even had lap belts, but it was fun sitting back there. Do station wagons even have a third seat anymore?

JNL

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Do station wagons even have a third seat anymore?
My sisters and I used to fight over who got to sit in the third seat in our Holden (Berlina?) station wagon - it was a brand new car and you could order a third seat in matching upholstery to be fitted in the back. Handy for a family of 6.

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Behold the hideousness that is the Toyota built Scion X-B
That is real ugly. It looks like something Postman Pat would drive (=British kids' TV program).

BKM

Cyburbian
Do you have a WRX? They rule! Mine is blue-you can always find it in the parking lot.

martini

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Do you have a WRX? They rule! Mine is blue-you can always find it in the parking lot.
I want a WRX badly. My Legacy is on its way to kickin' the bucket, and the WRX wagon would be a great replacement.

On the subject of waaaaaay back seats, Volvos still have them, and Fords got a new wagon coming out with one thats based on a Volvo platform.

boiker

Cyburbian
Scion may be ugly, but not too many other people on the road will be driving them.
I'd rather drive a weird concept-looking vehicle than a boring sedan or coupe.

BKM

Cyburbian
boiker said:
Scion may be ugly, but not too many other people on the road will be driving them.
I'd rather drive a weird concept-looking vehicle than a boring sedan or coupe.
The benefit of a blue wagon with bug eyes. In a sea of beige or silver Camrys and Accords, I can easily find my car.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I drove a WRX. Wanted one badly, but fuel efficiency and cargo space won out. Now with gas prices through the roof, I'm loving my diesel, although it doesn't give you whiplash from a stoplight the way the WRX does.....

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm getting old.

Yep, the mileage sucks. Low 20s for a smaller car-if you drive like I do.
Still, I can fit a lot of things into the cargo hold of the wagon when the seats are folded down.