• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ugliest of the Ugly Cars

What is the ugliest of the new(ish) cars?

• [IMG]http://www.canadianautoreview.com/baja-rearside_small.jpg[/IMG] Subaru Baja

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • [IMG]http://www.ipublishers.com/autos/images/pontiac/aztek.jpg[/IMG] Pontiac Aztek

Votes: 33 67.3%
  • [IMG]http://h.wieck.com/tn/2002/11/05/HON2002110548057_tn.jpg[/IMG] Honda Element

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nerudite

Cyburbian
After reading Maddox's commentary on ugly cars and the various discussions about new cars here in the FAC, I figured we needed a final poll of the ugliest of the new cars.

And if you haven't read Maddox's commentary, it's worth the read... especially the Gary Busey scale of ugliness.

el Guapo

Capitalist
While the Aztec is certainly ugly, I know of one who's ugly goes to the bone...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Run for your lives!

Seriously, the Aztek is the most gawd-awful looking thing on the roads in North America. Worse then British three-wheeled cars.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Hands down, it's gotta be the Aztec. Before I saw the poll, I already had it in my head as the ugliest thing on wheels. What were they thinking?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Great site nerudite.
"Looks like it was designed by a blind child with arthritis." I'm going to remember that one.

IMO the Pontiac Aztek, Pontiac Vibe and the Chevy Avalanche are three of the fugliest automobiles on the road. These, along with the Cadillac CTS and others, prove that there isn't a cheap, ugly piece of shyte out there that General Motors won't manufacture.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Relish beating a dead horse!!

Ich sage: Das Aztec ist sehr, sehr uber-hasslich!!

Du sagt: Ja, das stimmt!

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hmmmm......vintage Volvo!!

I'll have a 122S, please

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
Hands down, it's gotta be the Aztec. Before I saw the poll, I already had it in my head as the ugliest thing on wheels. What were they thinking?
I just shake my head every time I see one of these hideous monstrosities on the road. Blech. Why would anybody buy one?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Somebody find a photo of a Pacer Wagon!
and post it as a reminder of what an ugly car it was

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
JNA said:
Somebody find a photo of a
Pacer Wagon!
and post it as a reminder of what an ugly car it was
you mean like this one?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I think cars like the Aztek are ugly and I wouldn't buy one but I'm glad the automakers are making different looking cars. For a while every car looked the same (think Saturns).

I didn't think Pontiac was still in business.

ps: Check out Maddox's comments on
white cop/black cop movies. I've been ranting about this for a while.

martini

Cyburbian
The Aztek is by far the ugliest thing on the modern road. I swear the people who buy it are into it for it's schizophrenic leanings. I am I in a car/SUV/Camper/wagon today?

Past? the Pacer is king of all that is ugly. Well, the Rambler comes close....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that they let some little kid that has never seen a car, design the ASSTECK. It reminds me of a mix between a match box car, an angry dog, and a gremlin.

H

Cyburbian
my wife has been out looking at Elements *sigh*

If it wasnt for the sunroof being over the backseat, we would already own one. *sigh again*

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The US doesn't have a lock on the ugly car market.

Dihatsu Atrai

Fiat Multipla

Renault Kangoo

Renault Vel Satis ... hell, anything made by Renault except the Laguna

Hundustan Ambassador - yes, that's a NEW car

Robin Reliant

biscuit

Cyburbian
Fiat Multipla

HOLY CRAP! In the name of all that's decent in the world, isn't there some kind of international law forbiding people from bringing horrors like this into the world. It looks like the retarded and deformed illegitimate spawn of a Mazda MPV and a Dodge Neon.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm surprised to see the Subaru Baja in the poll. It is not one of the first cars I think of when I think "ugly." On the other hand, I wonder why they bothered to make it, or who would want it. The rear seating is more cramped than the sedan or wagon. In exchange, you get a bed that is about four feet long - too small to put anything in, except luggage and small things that you would probably want inside the car in the first place. A pickup truck needs a six-foot bed, and nothing less.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
It appears Europeans are more willing to think outside the box.... kind of refreshing actually. Think about it, Cars in America are all pretty similar within their respective classes. I kinda like the Atrai, looks like a good party bus. :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Did I hear Edsel?

Fiat Multipla
Ok, you win... now that's f-ugly.. even worse than the Cayenne or the ones in the poll (although they're close!)

Last edited:

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Narsty Euro Funktronik Wagons

I laughed myself silly at that list of the ugliest cars. The Kangaroo looks ridiculous, like someone melted a subaru and stretched its top upward. The Multipla looks like a Saab with a Lincoln cab on top (PopeMobile-Style).

The Pacer: I have been in love with it since Wayne's World, the movie (the first one). I've always wanted to have a licorice dispenser in my car.

PS: who voted for the Element? Why, oh why can't you just leave it alone? All it wants to do is have a good time! Why must you torment it?

Runner

Cyburbian
Although at least AMC is gone. Can you honestly say this one is not just as ugly:

boiker

Cyburbian
why knock the ugly cars

i must be the crazy minority and think that all three of those cars are innovative and unique... not ugly.

now... ford taurus.. eck.... dodge caravan...puke....honda civic...boring....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Runner said:
Can you honestly say this one is not just as ugly:
[patriot] Hey, Jane Fonda, that vee-HIC-uul helped win a couple of WARS for the good 'ol USA! Commie.[/patriot]

Seriously, if you're going to get a military vehicle, go for a Pinzgauer. The civilian version is closer to its military roots, it gets far better gas mileage than the Hummer (16-18 MPG general), and they're fairly inexpensive on the used market.

US market civilian Pinzgauer. $16K. Beat that, Hummer!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: why knock the ugly cars

boiker said:
i must be the crazy minority and think that all three of those cars are innovative and unique... not ugly.

now... ford taurus.. eck.... dodge caravan...puke....honda civic...boring....
True... but the poll was about the new ugly cars. I personally don't like several other older cars. Generally I don't like cars that look like eggs on wheels (some altimas, etc) and minivans that look like handheld vacuums.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Seriously, if you're going to get a military vehicle, go for a Pinzgauer. The civilian version is closer to its military roots, it gets far better gas mileage than the Hummer (16-18 MPG general), and they're fairly inexpensive on the used market.

US market civilian Pinzgauer. $16K. Beat that, Hummer!

One word.....

RUGGED!

Where do I get one of those. I can fit the kid, dog and TWO bikes in that one!

donk

Cyburbian
when the canadian armed forces need rugged this is what they reach for:

The VW designed bombardier built, GM powered Iltis.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

The VW designed bombardier built, GM powered Iltis.
Those things were cool...and dangerous in the wrong hands. And while it looks amphibious, it definitely was not.

donk

Cyburbian
My parent;s live right by a CFB. At least once a year they have some poor guys in training stopping in to call the base for a pick up as one has blown up on the road, and the radios are down.

From local reports they are not too warm to drive in the winter either.

Status
Not open for further replies.