• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ugly Generalizations?

martini

Cyburbian
I know everyones got one. Or several. As much as we like to say that we're non-judgemental, there's always something out there that just bugs the shit out of us EVERY time we see it even though we know that the statement just ain't true, we use it like a security blanket. What'r yours?

Pontiac drivers are assholes. Think about it. They always tailgate. Nearly always are zipping recklessly through traffic. Are typically young males with basball hats on backwards or females with the 'Calvin' pissing on _______ sticker.

The French are assholes. They just are.

BKM

Cyburbian
Volvo Drivers=Concerned about safety because they know they are dangerous?

Inquiring minds wish to know!

(j/k El Guapo and other worshippers in the Church of Swedish boxes)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
BMW drivers are pricks

Hummer drivers are pricks with more money and need to be hit by a 18 wheeler

yes mean

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Blondes = dumb
Sport car owners= short dick / erectile dysfunction
Goths= dumbasses
Punks= see Goths.

tsc

Cyburbian
I would go with the monte carlos and the older the monte carlo.. the worse they are. I would lump crotch rocket motorcycles into the same category.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
What they want me to think:

Drivers of big SUV's, pickups, and hummers are tougher than me.

Drivers of BMW's, Mercedes, and Jaguars are richer than me.

Drivers of Jeeps and sports cars are more fun than me.

Drivers of mini-vans are more responsible than me.

Drivers of Saabs and Volkswagens are smarter than me.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
All taxi drivers in Chicago are complete idiots and must be flogged!

I commute a very long distance everyday and everyday I witness a taxi driver do some completely a-hole move.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Planners take themselves and their work way too seriously and have no sense of humor--it's just a job, damn it! Many are nerds.

BKM

Cyburbian
Planners take themselves and their work way too seriously and have no sense of humor--it's just a job, damn it! Many are nerds.
No! No! We are TRANSFORMING THE WORLD in the name of TRUTH, JUSTICE, AND THE NEOTRADITIONAL WAY. :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Conservatives are unfeeling monsters

Liberals are adle brained touchy feely types that just dont get it

Moderates are proverbial speed bumps/targets

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Suburbanites - To many, their City becomes "hip" when they get a Starbucks and a Panera Bread.

Engineers - Think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, look down on planners, cant seem to handle any type of situation that involves "outside the box" thinking.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
For me, it's old folks (over the age of 65) on the road. No matter which lane they're in, you can bet your life that they'll be snailing along at 20 mph. Damn!!!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
French-speaking Canadians who visit the Adirondacks always come by the busload, trample the alpine vegetation, and don't understand "leave no trace" principles.

And they're rude.

Wait a minute, it's true! ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Illinois drivers are a$$holes. (Sorry, FIBs.) The same goes for people from LA.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
that everybody in Indiana likes:
IU Basketball, Norte Dame Football, and the Indy 500

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Planners moving from the public to the private sector is also known as transferring to the dark side.

H

Cyburbian
JNA said:
I have a bit of family there and I say minus the ND thing, the other two would seem right on. :)

boiker

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Illinois drivers are a$$holes. (Sorry, FIBs.) The same goes for people from LA.
Wisconsin drivers don't give us FIBs the respect we deserve ;)

plannerkat

Cyburbian
"Jesus is my co-pilot" bumper sticker = wretched driver. Seriously, he isn't going to save you if you keep driving like an asshole!

H

Cyburbian
That everyone in Tennessee is a cross-eyed bucktooth inbred hillbilly. ;)

GO VOLS!!!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Huston said:
That everyone in Tennessee is a cross-eyed bucktooth inbred hillbilly. ;)

GO VOLS!!!
That a good looking girl on the U of T campus must be a visitor! (Oh, wait... true!) ;)

GO HOGS!!!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
According to comics on BET all white people say things like Hey Bob, nice slacks. How's your portfolio? Did you get your income tax statements?

According to most TV commercials, wives are smart, witty, and use the right products and their husbands are fat, but lovable buffoons in flannel shirts. Women should be commended for putting up with men. ^o)

All Arabs are out to get me.

Overly religious, scripture-verse reciting Christian freaks are the biggest, most judgemental hypocrites around.

JNA said:
Oooo, God. You've never been in a room with equal numbers of IU fans and Purdue fans. Talk about Smack Down.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
One of my friends did undergrad at IU and grad at Purdue. He was always very confused during football and basketball season.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
One of my friends did undergrad at IU and grad at Purdue. He was always very confused during football and basketball season.
A friend of mine is an a similar situation. Undergrad at Purdue, IU Law School. He is a hardcore Purdue fan and hates IU. I have a lot of friends and relatives from Indiana and there are some fun rivalries resulting from IU and Purdue mixed marriages. Then they all gang up on the Wisconsin Badgers when I am around.

Although we all agree on one thing: Notre Dame Sucks!

H

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I have a lot of friends and relatives from Indiana and there are some fun rivalries resulting from IU and Purdue mixed marriages.
What about IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis)? ;) How does that settle with the purebreds? Or do they even care?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
As a proud IUPUI grad (undergrad), I say, Go, Hoosiers!
(FYI, the IUPUI mascot is the Jaguar. It's taking a while to catch on in Hoosier v. Boilermaker land).

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I thought somebody on the thread for Cyburbian You'd Like to Meet Most would at least mention me. That's okay,
I'm good enough,
I'm smart enough,
and doggone it,
people like me.
;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
If an older car with a fat arm hanging out the driver's window approaches a bank drive-thru: they will not have any of their deposit slips filled out, will possibly be denied check-cashing priveleges by the teller, and will likely drive off with the tube.

Same scenario, approaching fast-food drive-thru: they will have no earthly clue about what anyone in the car wants to order, despite having spent 10 minutes in line. They will get to the pick-up window and remember 5 more things they need to order.

Women who take their kids to birthday parties, and are wearing capris and sandals, or long denim dresses, will look down their noses and refuse to mingle with the moms who wear denim shorts and tennis shoes.

Men in their 30's and 40's who are packing on the weight, have no necks, and the world's smallest cell phones (which are always "on"), only want to date tall, slim, status blonde babes.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Ford Focus=horrible driver

some of the most hair-raising and "wtf?!"-inducing near-misses i have witnessed (and one that almost hit me) were committed by fools in Focuses.

H

Cyburbian
B'lieve said:
Ford Focus=horrible driver

some of the most hair-raising and "wtf?!"-inducing near-misses i have witnessed (and one that almost hit me) were committed by fools in Focuses.
Which is ironic, because if I were in a Focus I would be EXTRA careful, sos I don’t get crushed. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The past few days, while I was visiting that mythical land whose first letter is "p", last is "d," and has "ortlan" in the middle, I never saw such a concentration of Volvos and Subarus on the road like I did there. Well, maybe Boulder, too.

By the way, the residents of that city whose first letter is "p", last is "d," and has "ortlan" in the middle drive excruiatingly slow. I don't get it either.

What about this ... wearing emo glasses increases others' perceptions of your IQ by about 20 points.

Look at these geniuses!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dan said:
What about this ... wearing emo glasses increases others' perceptions of your IQ by about 20 points.

Look at these geniuses!
Wonder what would happen to these artsy-fartsy types if they ever stumbled into the original Town Next Door???

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
With those glasses they're supposed to gain 20 points in their IQ? My guess is that it lowers their IQ by 20 points... but then again, I'm weird.

PS: Dan could you be kind enough to break up those pics in several lines rather than having them all in one line? I just hate when threads get broken with this wide posts... :)

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
What does the community think of those of us who drive arund in their old vw beetles with wisible rust, dents, and peeling paint? What about cars with holes in the floor?

jordanb

Cyburbian
ilikefish0 said:
What does the community think of those of us who drive arund in their old vw beetles with wisible rust, dents, and peeling paint? What about cars with holes in the floor?
I think you're OK as long as it smells vaguly like marijuana.

Kathie_WE

Cyburbian
tsc said:
New York City = New York State
To be followed by...

Everything North of NYC in NYS is in the sticks. (for those living in the NYC metro region)

and

NYC is just a massive hole which consumes all of the money, energy, and power in NYS. (for those living in Upstate.)