• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Uh-oh, I think my addiction was found out-

Habanero

Cyburbian
So I just read a post, and then went back to read another post and a thing came up from my city saying "oh heeeellllll no, you can't view this page! no cyburbia for you!" but now i'm allowed back in.

I think I got found out and must now limit my time here. : (

Any techies know why this could happen? Can those pages randomly pop up?

:(

Jeff

Cyburbian
Was that the exact quote? Sounds like someone is screwing with you....

You could always file a complaint stating that you were ofended by the language they used when addressing the issue.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Seems like it might just have been a temporary Web burp. Was the message specific to a filter (Websense, etc), or was it just a four-oh-something?

Habanero

Cyburbian
it was an "access denied, City of C"

but then I hit the refresh button and it let me in. Weird.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I was blocked also by our internet posse, but I called and explained that Cyburbia is a professional planning site that I need for research, and no problems since. Do any of your co-workers post here, and have they been blocked?

prudence

Cyburbian
Big Brother is WATCHING. It's 1984 already.

Personally I believe that the IT weenies are finally getting back at everyone for kicking sand in their faces when they were in high school.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
At work, lots of recreational sites are blocked; we've got Websense. There's two different levels of blocking; the "you really shouldn't be looking at this, but if you're on a break or it's really work related, click this button and we'll let you look" and "hell no!" The Onion is "semi-blocked," - click a button and you can see it. The Straight Dope is completely blocked, probably because it has the word "dope" in the name."

Ironically, all computer and IT-related sites, even if it's more recreational than anything (gaming, geek interests such as anime and SF, etc) are unfiltered. Like Prudence said, could it be revenge of the nerds?

At my old job, I was the acting IT director, and I wrote the Internet use policy. Pretty much, it was "treat it as you would personal phone use; use discretion, don't let it interfere with your work, and no pr0n!