• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

UK urban growth policy (was: I'm back for some controversy and input)

TURaj

I'm back for some controversy and input

Ok there are 3 main policies that British planners have used to channel London's growth into compact forms of development (as opposed to the sprawling development seen in the U.S.). The 3 British policies are: (1) establishing a Greenbelt around central London, (2) Regulating new retail development, and (3) building Docklands to accommodate more offices, retail and residences within London. Correct?? Do u you think any of these 3 would have any chance working in U.S. metropolitan regions.

I think that it would take some getting used to, the setup is not something that americans are acustomed to. And offices on Docklands?? i don't know, can't think right now, GO YANKEES!!!
let me know what you think

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
It sounds like a good plan I guess...

Portland currently has a greenbelt around the city and the results have been a more urban compact environment. So it can work in America.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Re: I'm back for some controversy and input

TURaj said:
GO YANKEES!!!
let me know what you think
How 'bout them Yankees last night? :D

Go SOX!!!!!

SGB

Cyburbian
Elaborate, please

Can you explain exactly (or even somewhat) what docklands are?