Ultimate Tailgate

As football season kicks off, so do tailgate parties for many people. There is something about a parking lot party that makes the experience all that much more enjoyable. Some show up even though they will not be getting into the game. Food, beverages, music, and even some games are frequent features of a good tailgate.

How do you tailgate. Other than football, what other events do you tailgate at. What foods do you eat/make for the event. What do you think makes the ultimate tailgate?

kjel

Super Moderator
As football season kicks off, so do tailgate parties for many people. There is something about a parking lot party that makes the experience all that much more enjoyable. Some show up even though they will not be getting into the game. Food, beverages, music, and even some games are frequent features of a good tailgate.

How do you tailgate. Other than football, what other events do you tailgate at. What foods do you eat/make for the event. What do you think makes the ultimate tailgate?
It's mostly football around here. We have an outdoor concert venue that you can tailgate before a show and people often do. Mostly it's just burgers and hot dogs, sides, some alcohol, and music.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
All football here. Usually nothing fancier than burgers and/or brats grilled on a small Weber Smoky Joe.

Over the weekend, I was told of someone who showed up with a decent size BBQ pit. My question is what time did he arrive given BBQ takes some time to do right.

I had some friends in College what would tailgate in a parking lot before going into the bar. The figured the drinks were cheaper in the parking lot. Personally, I think it defeats the purpose of going to the bar...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think it would be quite possible to show up to the parking lot in the morning, set up one's pit, allow it to smoke/cook low-n-slow throughout the day and be ready to eat if it was an evening game.

I think it would be quite possible to show up to the parking lot in the morning, set up one's pit, allow it to smoke/cook low-n-slow throughout the day and be ready to eat if it was an evening game.
That might work, but this was a midday game. I have no idea when the lot opened up and my friends walked passed the bbq pit as smoke was rolling out the sides on their way into the stadium.

People in Detroit will tailgate Tiger games but usually only when they are competitive so that hasn't happened in a few years. There are a couple of spots where folks used to tailgate the Tiger games all through May when the weather is really nice regardless of how good the team was but there has been so much development around the stadium that I think that's mostly gone as the preferred spots are now getting built up.

There is an outdoor concert venue here that people like to tailgate at before concerts. For some reason, '80s bands like Foreigner and Night Ranger seem to draw the biggest tailgating crowds and for a few years country music concerts had particularly rowdy tailgaters.

I've only ever tailgated for college football games and never did anything more involved than bringing some beer (but I wouldn't turn down food if folks nearby were offering). When I was in the Marines in NC I had a lot of friends who were fans of various schools around NC, SC, Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia and I'll freely admit those ACC and SEC schools tailgate much better than anything I experienced in Big Ten Country.

PSU tailgates are pretty great because we party in cow pastures! Well, some of the parking is there. But it's a great time with over 100K people. But my tailgating exploits for Jimmy Buffett concerts are the stuff of legend. You won't see set ups and decorations like that at any football game ever. It's truly awesome. Of course sometimes it depends on the venue. The ones you can count on to allow you in early and really do it right are places like Boston, Cincinnati, Jones Beach, NY, and a few others. Everyone should experience it at least once. Me, I've done it 91 times. :D

I was invited to a tailgate party for Tomorrow night. The person who is having the party has a freezer full of hamburgers and hot dogs that he does not want to go to waste if the power goes out, so he is inviting all of the neighbors over for a get together before the storm kicks up.