• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

UMassachusetts - Amherst

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Does anyone have an opinion of the MRP program at UMass Amherst? Good, bad or alternatives....

Anyone graduate from there?

I am looking to start a Masters program next Fall and would like to find a program that is grounded in practical planning issues and technology combined with internships and studio experience. I've noticed a lot of other northeast schools like MIT and Cornell seem heavy on international issues and academic theory.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Masswich

Cyburbian
Umass MRP

I think its a good program with a lot of opportunities for someone who is motivated and wants to work in planning in the U.S. Its very practically-oriented rather than being big into theory. I also think its more focussed on urban design than policy. However, like many state programs, you can get what you need from it if you try, and its a great part of the country to spend some time.

My experience with UMass students, vs. MIT or Harvard students (I see all three where I work) is that the good UMass students are as good as anyone from MIT or Harvard, maybe even better since they don't have as much of a theoretical bent.

I looked at UMass when I applied to schools in 92, and didn't end up applying. That was right after it was accredited and I think its better now. I also think that I would have liked it there had I applied. The one drawback now is that their department head, who is very good, is now a vice-chancellor or such at UMass and therefore isn't around as much as he used to be.

But overall I think its worthy of consideration and can get you where you want to go.

SilliAEK

Time to renew this thread- UMass would be ideal for me locationally but I can't get convinced it is a quality program. Seems like a very small core faculty for planning as opposed to landscape architecture in the same department.

fructa

Cyburbian
I applied to the double-degree MRP/MLA there this year... and now I'm phoning and emailing them every day to try and find out if I'm being admitted or not. Buggers. I guess this tells you nothing about the quality of their program, but their admissions process SUCKS.