• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Umbrellas as Signs

donk

Cyburbian
Saw a funny / interesting / made me think story in Thursday's NY Times. it is about a take-out/hotdog stand in Kennebunk Me, that is being prosecuted for having too many signs on a property. The thing is that the signs that contravene the by-law are the umbrella's on the patio. How do other people deal with umbrella's on a patio that also have advertising? Kennebunk has made the owner spray paint the ads out.

I won't even get into some of the reasons why this take-out may have been targeted.

For clarity, here is the type of umbrella I'm talking about.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
The umbrellas certainly are signs by almost any definition I've ever worked with. But you have to wonder what trade-off is being made between color and vitality in the community and the desire to keep signs in check …_