• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Unbridled capitalism or a workers paradise

Unlimited Capitalism v. Unlimited Government

• [color=blue]Laissez Faire Capitalism[/color]

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • [color=red]Glorious People's Collective[/color]

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don't care as long as I eat!

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Bad Poll Dude!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Pick a world to live in NOW! No government other than for the defense of the nation with laissez faire capitalism run rampant or total big-brother government just like North Korea - without all the starvation.

Red pill or Blue pill - the choice is yours!

Runner

Cyburbian
Either end of the spectrum suxs. The Ron Paul - Libertarian wackos just mean more Enrons, land speculators, anarchy, etc. However, the other end has proven not to work with greedy humans making bad decisions.

I reject both tails and prefer the happy, workable, middle.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I guess you could stick me in the middle too. While I sure wouldn't want a Police State, I sure as hell wouldn't want the Enron types of the world running wild.

donk

Cyburbian
Don't forget that most of teh money that the enron types were actually making was your and mine from tax incentives, forgivable loans and grants. I prefer to think of myself as a social capitalist. That is someone who beliefes in teh free market, but also believes that big business and people with money have a duty/responsibility to use there influence and money for teh betterment of all. This relationship is directly inverse to teh grants, loans and tax breaks they take from the public. How about enron buying a coal plant ( i think) in PQ amortizing / deducting the interest and loan costs and ending up getting the plant for free due to international banking and tax laws here in canada.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I prefer the middle way. If I can't have that, a Milky Way. So I guess that means rampant capitalism.

You can't choose a middle! the poll is one or the other - otherwise, we'd all be living in Korea or creating our own rouge island nation.

So I'm the only one, that forced to choose, would pick the workers paradise.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Extremes are always bad, and utterly ridiculous.

Extremist capitalism in which the human being is seen as a money making machine is stupid, bad and ridiculous.

Extremist Communism in which nobody has to do anything if they don't want to or in which the state demands you to work hard (the last is very alike to extremist capitalism, exept you don't get much of the money, the state keeps it). well the first leads to starvation and extreme poverty. the second one leads to exploitation, poverty and starvation...

I think that the perfect government is a few steps "left" of the actual government (of the US). It would be something like a social capitalism as someone said before. that'd be the most fair and perfect goverment that can be achieved by humans.

el Guapo

Capitalist
SkeLeton said:
Extremes are always bad, and utterly ridiculous....I think that the perfect government is a few steps "left" of the actual government (of the US). It would be something like a social capitalism as someone said before. that'd be the most fair and perfect goverment that can be achieved by humans.
You mean Europe?

Jeff

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
You can't choose a middle! the poll is one or the other - otherwise, we'd all be living in Korea or creating our own rouge island nation.
If you don't settle down you're gonna be vanquished to Canada...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Guapo said:

You mean Europe?
IMHO ... a US with universal health coverage and a nationwide ban on billboards. :D

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
You guys keep bringing up enron as "why" free market capitalism does not work.

The fact that they were caught, will be prosecuted and that the company is bankrupt is WHY it does work.

I'll take the blue pill, it represents more faith in humanity.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
gkmo62u said:
You guys keep bringing up enron as "why" free market capitalism does not work.

The fact that they were caught, will be prosecuted and that the company is bankrupt is WHY it does work.

I'll take the blue pill, it represents more faith in humanity.
Ah, but - if we had a pure laissez-faire capitist system, wouldn't it be harder for these corporations/individuals to be caught?

Okay, Enron probably would have collapsed under its own stupidity/greed anyway, but I tend to think there wouldn't be as much government oversight in the business world, and therefore more opportunity for some people to take advantage of others. I'm thinking of the 19th Century "Robber Barons" here.

Your point about faith in humanity is well taken. I think both systems are quite similar in that they require everyone to behave with honesty, all the time. Seeing as that is impossible IMHO, I'll take our current capitalist system over the communist anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.