• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Unbuilt architecture of Archigram

krishna

I'm interested in taking up the work Archigram did in the sixties for my thesis. Especially interested in the Kinetic architecture.

Can anyone tell me recent interesting attempts in the same direction

archibot

You might look into old isozaki work - he planned a community that could be added onto with a crane - there's a model in the 100 years of Modernism exhibit at the LA Moma - look it up.

archibot.com

kincaid

Hi.

I dont know if it's what you are looking for, but if you want some slightly more contemporary examples of buildings whose habitats exist as attatchable and repositionable pods, then I would reccomend the work of Kisho Kurakawa and Tatsuhiko Nakajima. Investigate Kurakawa's Nagikan Capsule Tower and his Takara Beautillion. He has also innovated several buildings whose building members function as an interchangable kit of parts. You might also want to check out Nakajima's Youth castle in Osaka.

Jochen Keim and Klaus Sill renovated a 19th cntury building in Rathenow (near Berlin) in the last couple of years which included a series of flats in the form of plug in pods.

Check out the designs of John Prewer in the U.S.

If you are more interested in motorized kinetic actuation than interchangable habitats, you certainly want to study all the designs of Frei Otto and Santiago Calatrava.

Maybe this will help.