• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Uncle Biscuit!

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm usally try and make the effort to not be a braggart but this situation deserves it - I am now an uncle for the first time!

This is baby Caroline Belle. Born this morning at 11:07 EST in Greenville, South Carolina to my little (and only) sister and her husband.
1157Caroline-med.jpg
Last I heard everyone was doing well, but just to make sure, we plan on making the trip down tomorrow afternoon to see my new niece and check up on the new parents.

A new generation to spoil and corrupt... how sweet.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Congrats....
Although if you want to count my extended family I'm already an uncle of 2nd degree or something like that; no biggie for me, but my mom is completely baby crazy now, and my aunt and grandparents too. The latter used to visit my dog (that was treated almost like a baby until my 2nd degree nephew was born) and now, no more visits :p

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mark Twain wrote:
A baby is an inestimable blessing. And a bother.

The best thing about being an Uncle is -- you can give them back to their parents when they (insert objectionable behavior / odiferous output here). :-D

She looks like a doll! Congratulations and best wishes to everybody!

SGB

Cyburbian
Congratulations!

Don't forget to bring the new parents a copy of Planning magazine. It'll be great for getting the baby - and the parents - to sleep. ;)

Queen B

Cyburbian
An Uncle's place in child corruption is one high in status. I truely believe you are up to the task.
Start planning now, noisy toys, what projects a spit ball the furthest, putting a worm on a hook, ya know stuff like that. Make sure that you are not overly protective, don't make her a girly girl.
I have faith that you can do it!

Belle

Cyburbian
Congratulations!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL niece!

I just became an aunt for the first time in October. My advice is similar to that given above---spoil the child and hand her back! (oh, and let your fiancee go a little wild when buying baby gifts--it's a lot of fun!)

(I wish I could take you out for a congratulatory beer, but unfortunately I'll be in Chucktown this weekend.)

Enjoy the family and take lots of pictures!

Oh, and what a GREAT name!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Awesome, Congrats.

Someday I will be lucky enough to be an uncle.

Congrats and enjoy the little miracle of life.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Congrats!!! Have fun corrupting her. They are such neat little creatures! Very good name. But we must train you to get the rest of the information, such as birth weight and length. Love that kind of info.

H

Cyburbian
Congrats! Will you be the "fun" uncle, the "mean ole'" uncle or the "drunk" uncle? :-D

biscuit

Cyburbian
Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I'll have to let the new parents know that there is a cyberspace full of planning geeks sending their best.

Now I need to go shopping tonight for a baby present and my initial thought is to pre-purchase a palate of diapers for them at Sam's Club, or something along those lines. You know, a gift they could really use.

The good thing about having a niece, or nephew, is that I can be a bad influence on them when they visit and then return them to my sister so she can deal with the consequences. And now maybe my Mom won't start bugging me for grandchildren right after I'm married.

Trail Nazi said:
Congrats!!! Very good name. But we must train you to get the rest of the information, such as birth weight and length. Love that kind of info.
For you Trail Nazi
7lbs. :eek:z.
19 3/4" long

Last edited:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Congrats! I second everyone's opinions on the advantages of unclehood. However, I would add, being a Dad is much cooler.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Congrats. Babies are so cool, especially when they're someone else's. Offer to take the little one out for the afternoon, then postion yourself in a public place. Babies are chick magnets.

Rem

Cyburbian
Congratulations Biscuit. I think Queen B is on the right track.
Queen B said:
An Uncle's place in child corruption is one high in status. I truely believe you are up to the task......
A uni friend of mine and his brother compete to give each other's kids the most inconvenient Xmas presents possible. Started off with noisy guns, gooey carpet staining products and has now moved onto the electronic game that requires 9xD batteries which are not part of the gift - yes dad has to go off to find a service station Xmas day and pay exorbitant prices for batteries that are flat again in about 10 minutes. My favorite though is the year my friend's kids got a full table tennis set, paddles, balls, nets - no table. They apparently tried playing on the floor but straight after Xmas dad was at the sales buying a table.

kms

Cyburbian
Congratulations to you, your sister and her family! Just love that little girl.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
For you Trail Nazi
7lbs. :eek:z.
19 3/4" long
Thanks! I love that stuff. She was a good healthy size baby! Have fun with her when you go to visit. BTW, diapers are a very good buy, but don't forget the wipes (the sensitive care ones work great on new little bottoms).

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Uncle Biscuit! Uncle Biscuit! Tell us the story about HUD Section 45.5.8-F again! ;)

Congratulations.