• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Underground electrical utility lines

I am a planner in Mustang, Oklahoma. We have three electrical providers in our small city, and we are winding up with three sets of electrical utility poles on our main roads, all tilting to different degrees. We are attempting to develop an ordinance requiring that all new distribution lines, whether in subdivisions or not, be placed underground. I am looking for some sample ordinances I can look at that have achieved that objective. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

The One

Cyburbian
Utility Rules

Take a look at Ft. Collins Colorado and Concord Mass. Does your city have a franchise agreement with any of the providers? If so, this could work in your favor. Concord and Ft. Collins (I think) have not only required that new service lines be placed underground, but that funding be provided to underground existing overhead lines (take a look at their codes). Good Luck.

Thanks.

The One said:
Take a look at Ft. Collins Colorado and Concord Mass. Does your city have a franchise agreement with any of the providers? If so, this could work in your favor. Concord and Ft. Collins (I think) have not only required that new service lines be placed underground, but that funding be provided to underground existing overhead lines (take a look at their codes). Good Luck.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

ludes98

Cyburbian
You probably need to mention lines below 69kv for undergrounding. Once you start trying to underground anything much higher than that, they have to be cooled, usually with oil. 8-! They are also very expensive to maintain and I am sure your power company will protest. I think I may have mentioned this in another thread.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Prying open an old one...

Dragging our community into the 20th Century, I got the assignment this morning to amend our land development regulations to require undergrounding utilities (electric, cable TV, fiber, etc.), for all new development. I've found a few on-line that look good. Anybody care to share some language they think is good?

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to include a policy in the comp plan? Looks like Sarasota has done that.

Thanks in advance.

JimPlans

Cyburbian
Dragging our community into the 20th Century, I got the assignment this morning to amend our land development regulations to require undergrounding utilities (electric, cable TV, fiber, etc.), for all new development. I've found a few on-line that look good. Anybody care to share some language they think is good?

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to include a policy in the comp plan? Looks like Sarasota has done that.

Thanks in advance.
Tampa has simple language in their new comp plan:

-------

Coastal Management Goals, Objectives and Policies

Goal 41: The City of Tampa shall preserve, protect, restore, and appropriately manage the natural resources of the Coastal Planning Area to maintain or enhance environmental quality for present and future generations. To this end, the City of Tampa shall restrict development that would damage or destroy the City’s coastal resources and shall strive to protect human life and limit public expenditures in areas susceptible to destruction by natural disasters.

Hazard Mitigation:

Objective 41.3: Create a more disaster resistant community by mitigating the potential impacts associated with hurricanes and severe weather events.

Policy 41.3.5: For new development within the City, underground utilities, such as telephone, television, cable and electrical systems, are required except in those circumstances where the economics, physical constraints, and/ or the surrounding area make the provision of underground utilities impractical.

--------

Hard to argue with hurricane protection measures. Besides, if the utilities got 163.3208 and 163.3209 put into law to put requirements on you that have to go into your comp plan about siting substations and the right for utilities to trim trees near their lines, why can't you put some requirements on them?

southsideamy

Cyburbian
In our Subdivision regulations (which also apply to new developments).

Public Utilities

All public utility distribution lines for telephone, electric, and TV cable service shall be placed underground throughout each new subdivision or development. Said distribution lines shall be placed within easements or dedicated public ways, in a manner which will not conflict with other underground services. Further, all transformer boxes shall be located so as not to be unsightly or hazardous to the public.