• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Unfortunate business names

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We probably covered this before, but still ...

During my recent cross-Midwest-and-Great-Lakes-Region drive, I encountered several billboards for ... Tom Raper RV.

Have you seen any business names tha have made you go "uhhh ...?"

JNL

Cyburbian
Funny rather than unfortunate

Got sent a pic of an ad that said:

"Sofa King - our prices are Sofa King low!"

otterpop

Cyburbian
There is a butcher shop in Missoula Montana that processes among other things deer and elk during hunting season. They wrap the meat twice to preserve freshness. It is owned by a guy named Dick. So naturally it is called Dick's Doublewrap. Always seemed to me the place should sell condoms.

tsc

Cyburbian
There is sporting goods chain that evolved from an Army/Navy men's store in the NE. Before they shortened the name to Dick's... a store in Syracuse had "Dick's for Men and Boys" in huge letters plastered on the front of the store.... they took it down after about 6 months.....

mcmplans

Cyburbian
There used to be a small bakery in Memphis that was called MasterBakers. It is no longer open..

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Talk about unfortunate business names... how would you like to be cold calling from this place and have to tell a homeowner that you're calling from STD Contractors?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How 'bout that law firm 'Dewy, Cheatham, & Howe'

kalimotxo

Cyburbian
There's a photography shop in my former town of Fredericksburg, VA called Bill Buttram Photography. More of an unfortunate last name than a bad business name, and he was the first to make fun of it. In fact, his logo turns his initials into something rather, um, asslike (link)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Sadly I have no picture, but there's a large industrial lubricant manufacturer with a location in Detroit (or Hamtramck) called Fuch's Lubricants. Maybe they should contact Bill Buttram Photography to get a few pictures of their new addition being built by STD Contractors?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
My favorite in Ann Arbor was always Peters Sausage Company who had the slogan "Sausage Eaters swear by Peters" on their delivery trucks.

cng

Cyburbian
Many asian businesses would probably qualify for a bad business name award. We had a Chinese buffet restaurant named Dong's. It's now out of business. But one place doing well here is Double D Cupcakes.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
There's a hair salon in Schaumburg, IL called "Best Head". :lmao: To make matters worse, it is located in a somewhat seedy strip mall. 8-!