• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

School: University of Illinois - Chicago (UIC) 🇺🇸 University of Illinois - Chicago thread

J2

I am considering attending UIC in the MUPP program. (I'm an IL resident -- thus the price is right.) Does anyone out there have opinions about / experience with the Masters of Urban Planning and Policy Program at the University of Illinois in Chicago? Of the 'research institutes' there, are any better known/admired (e.g. the Great Cities Institute)? Are any of the faculty particularly distinguished / capable / helpful? Finally, do any of the 'specialties' (community planning, economic planning, international planning, physical planning, transportation planning, housing) lead to better job opportunities/pay? And of these, which calls for the most 'creativity/originality' on the planner's part and which might (I realize this is somewhat subjective) offer the most satisfaction (in the sense of doing something that is really and truly important -- that is really and truly making the world a better place). Any help here will be greatly appreciated. -- J.

Judd

Why don't you consider U of I Urbana?

I'm doing a master's there - from New York no less, and it's got evrything you could possibly want in a planning school.

Plus, not only is it cheap for you, but they offer assistantships which cover tuition and grant you a healthy amount of spending cash as well.
Take a look...www.urban.uiuc.edu.

Judd

schchtmn@uiuc.edu

Peter Bratt

Cyburbian
Does anyone know what sort of response time UIC has to Urban Planning and Policy appliations? I sent out my application this weekend, and I would assume that my completed application will be ready for review after Christmas.

I can't seem to figure out of the school has rolling or set admissions. Any advice would be great.

Sincerely,
Peter

jordanb

Cyburbian
^-- Not sure about the UPP school in particular, but I can say that UIC as a whole is very bad about returning things promptly. Also expect your application to get tied up by some administrative hurdle that they don't tell you about, so you might want to call a few different times (and speak with different people) to ensure that you've done all you need to do.

It is also my understanding that the entire university uses rolling admissions.

shishi

Cyburbian
deadlines

May 15th 2006 General graduate school deadline,
Jan. 1st, 2006 for Urban planning

I applied a few years ago for the MFA program and heard back in March I think. I didn't have any problems with the graduate school loosing any of my application package.

krf1217

Uic

Regarding UIC they are very slow and will probably loose every piece of paperwork you ever give them. I am current in the Urban Planning and Policy Program here. They lost my transcripts when I applied for the program and I was never notified my application was just sitting. I applied in August for Jan. 2005 and did not hear back until the end of October. You are able to check the status of your application online, I would just suggest keeping an eye on it.

Peter Bratt

Cyburbian
Uic

Thanks for the tips. I did put a little postcard with the application packet that I sent in, so hopefully that will be a good start. I will take the advice from folks here, and be a persistent applicant!

samraen

Cyburbian
I was accepted for the MUPP program at UIC, but have deferred because I took a job for a year to get a little more experience with the recommendation of Professors. I have head it's a good program and have seen it ranked in the top 5 according to certain sites which is a draw, I would also receive in-state tuition which is nice, and finally I really enjoy the city. However, I have been looking at other Universities as well just for some options. I was just wondering what people thought of the program etc, and or if people have other recommendations as to programs to look at...

nrschmid

Cyburbian
PM jsk1983, he is currently in the program.

On a side note, UIUC, not UIC, is ranked in the top five, although I really don't know why. I didn't care much for the urban planning program.

samraen

Cyburbian
PM jsk1983, he is currently in the program.

On a side note, UIUC, not UIC, is ranked in the top five, although I really don't know why. I didn't care much for the urban planning program.
Is he in the MUPP or Real Estate program? Thanks alot for the info!

nrschmid

Cyburbian
^He is in the MUPP program.
Huh? Jared, you must have been totally wasted when we hung out during the state conference in October ;-). I graduated from the BAUP program in '03 and have been working as a planner/designer in Chicagoland. I refuse to enroll in the MUP program or any other program at Urbana. I think it's a terrible program and a waste of time and money. Although, I don't mind getting out of the office and doing a pro-bono presentation down there once in a while to beef up the portfolio ;-)

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Huh? Jared, you must have been totally wasted when we hung out during the state conference in October ;-). I graduated from the BAUP program in '03 and have been working as a planner/designer in Chicagoland. I refuse to enroll in the MUP program or any other program at Urbana. I think it's a terrible program and a waste of time and money. Although, I don't mind getting out of the office and doing a pro-bono presentation down there once in a while to beef up the portfolio ;-)
I wasn't actually referring to you. I was referring to myself but ended up being confusing more than anything.

Anyways...

I am a current student in the MUPP program at UIC. I'm in my second year and just completed my third out of four semesters.

I'm fairly satisfied with the program thus far. It tends to be more policy oriented than anything so whether thats good or bad depends on what your looking for. If your primarily interested in urban design I'd advise looking elsewhere.

I of course have nothing to compare to so just keep that in mind.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

samraen

Cyburbian
Thank you for the info, I was curious as to whether it was policy based or what. What field are you looking to go into after graduation? I would like to be a city planner or work in the public sector as opposed to private; do you think UIC would be an appropriate school to go to for that career field choice?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Thank you for the info, I was curious as to whether it was policy based or what. What field are you looking to go into after graduation? I would like to be a city planner or work in the public sector as opposed to private; do you think UIC would be an appropriate school to go to for that career field choice?
Right now I'm thinking public sector, local government. Yes, UIC would adequately prepare you for such a career.

I just applied to the MUPP program at the University of Illinois at Chicago and I am looking for any feedback/experiences/insight on the school.

I hold a B.S. in Business Administration and I have work experience in construction and finance. My community service experience is extensive and what has really led me down the path to planning. I have worked in community radio, taught English as a Second Language and worked for an international film festival.

My interests in planning are in transportation and land use with a sustainable slant.

I'd love to hear anything/everything you guys know about UIC.

I don't know anything about UIC. However, I cannot imagine a better place in the US to study planning than Chicago.

Best wishes.

Agreed. My hope is that Chicago will be fertile ground for hands-on internship opportunities especially if the city gets the nod in the Olympic selection.

BeltedSweater

UIC is solid, and my impression of their transportation program was excellent. I worked at the Chicago Transit Authority for the past 2 years and the majority of my colleagues with planning backgrounds had completed UIC's program, which seemed to have served them well. The same was also true of other major planning agencies in Chicago, such as CMAP.

Thanks for the feedback.

District - What have you heard about UIC's financial aid?

Belted Sweater - What kind of courses should I be focusing on to make myself marketable and secure competitive jobs at places like the CTA?

BeltedSweater

There are people working at CTA who went to UIC and specialized in fields unrelated to transportation, such as housing and community development. Work experience, internships during the program and networking are what matter most when it comes to getting the job, although relevant coursework certainly doesn't hurt.

As for skills that would be good to have once you've been hired, in general, quantitative analysis and proficiency with GIS and database software like Access are useful. Any urban transportation planning classes would give you a strong foundation. Of course, it all depends on what specifically you're doing.

TrueGreenCore

Hey All,

I am looking at the Planning Program at University of Illinois at Chicago and am wondering on how the program is regarded by people in the profession. I like that it is accredited and that a couple of the faculty have design interests.

Also, I am curious about the one-year master's in real estate development. Since I was hoping to use a planning degree to eventually get into the private sector since municipal planning is fairly limited, I am wondering what people think of that degree option.

Ann B

The Department of Urban Planning and Policy is the only accredited planning program in the Chicago area, and home to one of the largest and most diverse professional Master's programs in the country, offering specializations in Globalization and International Planning, Economic Development, Community Development, Spatial Planning/Urban Design, Urban Transportation, and Environmental Planning and Policy.

Dates for Open House events for 2012-2013 are:

Wednesday, September 19
Wednesday, October 24
Wednesday, November 28
Wednesday, January 23
Wednesday, February 27

Open Houses are from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m., with registration at 6:00 p.m. Please RSVP to upp@uic.edu. Refreshments will be served. Directions to UPP are available at http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp/prospective_students/ps_visit.html

Ann B

There will be an Open House on Wednesday, October 24 from 6:30 to 8:00 at the University of Illinois at Chicago for the Masters in Urban Planning and Policy program. UIC's MUPP program is ranked 16th in the nation, and third in the midwest.

The Department of Urban Planning and Policy has a large, diverse faculty and offers specializations in Community Development, Economic Development, Spatial Planning and Design, Urban Transportation, Environmental Planning and Policy, and Globalization and International Planning. The department is located in the College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs, which is home to six research centers. More information on the department and college is at: www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp

Directions to the event can be found at: http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp/prospective_students/ps_visit.html

Registration begins at 6:00 p.m. RSVPs (appreciated but not required) to upp@uic.edu. Refreshments will be served.

Queenducky21

Cyburbian
Hey all!

I am finishing my UIC application. I cannot find a submit button as it falls under the submitted apps column.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ann B

There will be an Open House on Wednesday, January 23 from 6:30 to 8:00 at the University of Illinois at Chicago for the Masters in Urban Planning and Policy program. UIC's MUPP program is ranked 16th in the nation, and third in the midwest.

The Department of Urban Planning and Policy has a large, diverse faculty and offers specializations in Community Development, Economic Development, Spatial Planning and Design, Urban Transportation, Environmental Planning and Policy, and Globalization and International Planning. The department is located in the College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs, which is home to six research centers. More information on the department and college is at: www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp

Directions to the event can be found at: http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp/prospec.../ps_visit.html

Registration begins at 6:00 p.m. RSVPs (appreciated but not required) to upp@uic.edu. Refreshments will be served.

rsx_2006

Anyone heard anything from UIC for PhD Planning? Their email stated that decisions would be sent out by Jan. 30 if application is complete.

grapesfarmer

Cyburbian
Here is the prog. link. :: http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp/prospective_students/ps_apply_mupp.html

I am a little confsued with some of the admission requirements at UI-Chicago. All three of my recommenders have sent in the recommenders through the link from the portal.

1. University Admission Policy: Bachelor's degree from accredited institution
2. Minimum Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 for final 60 semester hours
3. Minimum GRE: No Requirements (no recommended score if taken)
4. Minimum TOEFL: 550 paper-based; 213 computer-based; TOEFL ibt 80
5. Ranking in Undergraduate Class: Not Required
6. Departmental Requirement: 3 letters of recommendation, personal statement and writing sample
7. GRE and resume for Assistantship
8. Electronic submission
9. Admissions Review Cover Sheet

My issue is with these two – (7) & (9). Both documents need a signature. Do I just print this out, sign and upload the scan?

The pain doesn’t end here. There is also a longish read-only PDF form called the “ Application for Graduate Appointment.” . I am not comfortable with asking my recommenders to fill it by hand. The deadline is Jan 1 and I am getting all these OOO replies when I email them.

UIC.capture.jpg

Clipped from attachment:

Admissions Review Covert Sheet and Application for Graduate Appointment (no additional letters of recommendation required for AGA) can be found at:

no additional letters required?!
This is confusing and conflicting

Any current students/other applicants to the MUPP, please chime in.
Thanks

Hey. I also applied to UIC MUPP. Hope my reply isn't too late.

For 7 I just printed out the form, filled it in nicely in dark black ink, printed the essay portion and taped it on there, signed, then scanned it in to be uploaded. I also printed out the scan, and mailed a hard copy to the offices. There weren't any really specific instructions.

However, after I already submitted it, I found a link to a fillable PDF form by Googling "UIC Graduate Appointment." I don't know why the one linked to from the MUPP page was not fillable, but the fillable one would have been a lot easier.

If you're having the recommenders submit online and it was within the last year, you don't need to submit the recommendations again. This is written on the form somewhere.

The University of Illinois at Chicago's Urban Planning and Policy Department is hosting an information session for prospective MUPPs and undergraduate students on:

Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Where: CUPPA Hall Room 110 (412 S. Peoria St, Chicago, IL 60607)

Light refreshments (sometimes "light" means pizza, deep dish or otherwise, but this is Chicago) provided.

Please RSVP to UPP@uic.edu

As a graduating MUPP from the program, I would recommend this program. When it came to choosing a master's program, it came down to mission, quality faculty, funding opportunities, and internship/career opportunities. When I first made my decision, it was a big leap of faith (didn't receive great funding options from Cal or UCLA - I'm a Californian), but one that has paid off immensely. The networking opportunities for MUPPs in the city of Chicago/Midwest are insane - you truly cannot get anywhere in the planning, nonprofit, or political world without running into an alum of the program - and the network of alumni out of state are just as impressive and supportive.

Yes, the state of Illinois is in a constant budget crisis. Yes, this program is not as highly ranked as others.

But I would highly recommend checking out the list of faculty, their work, and see where graduates of this program end up. How this department manages to retain some of these faculty is amazing in itself.

Their planning student organization, UPPSA, has a pretty good grasp of this information - www.uppsa.org - and you can ask questions to current students through their website if you'd like.

Ann B

Info Session for Master of Urban Planning and Policy Degree

October 11, 2017
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Location 110 CUPPAH
Address 412 S. Peoria St., First Floor, Chicago, IL 60607
Join Urban Planning and Policy Faculty and Staff for an informative session on UIC's Urban Planning and Policy Masters Degree, a top professional program, with strong ties to employers, in a real, global city atmosphere. The best place to become a planner is at UIC!

Connect remotely through this link: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/cf75c05b604d41d99fc457ff66bc7577

RSVP appreciated to upp@uic.edu.
Contact
Kazuya Kawamura (312) 996-2165 upp@uic.edu

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moved all (or most) of the University of Illinois - Chicago threads to a single thread, to make it easier for Google, Bing, and you to find it. :)

UIC vs [some other school] discussions are still in their own threads.