• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Univ of Miami 🇺🇸 University of Miami thread

Gredi

So I'm finishing up my MUP with a concentration in urban design this spring and am starting to accept the fact that I need yet another Masters. I really want to get a job in urban design and after a lot of research and surveying employers, a design degree looks like a necessary requirement.

Having said that, does anyone have an opinion or any inside knowledge about Univ. of Miami's post-professional degree in Suburb and Town Design? I'm really looking for a skill-based program.

Thanks!

cellophane

Cyburbian
I was referred to the U.Miami program by another architect here in town as an option for grad school and after looking at their website I am pretty intrigued by what I saw. The program is a Master of Architecture in Suburb & Town Design (New Urbanism Post Professional) and not a planning degree per se but I think it is more inline with what i want to do with the world. They also offer: Master of Architecture in Research (Post-Professional) and Master of Architecture in Research – Suburb and Town Design along with a standard M.Arch.

Has anyone here had any dealings with the program or graduates from the programs? I don't completely follow the New Urbanist ideals and goals but I do feel that they have some great ideas that are just not implemented well (new town vs. fixing existing town.) Would my philosophical differences affect my chances at getting in or how the program would go for me?

thanks!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moved all (or most) of the University of Miami threads to a single thread, to make it easier for Google, Bing, and you to find it. :)

Miami vs [some other school] discussions are still in their own threads.