• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Unleashing your inner hipster

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I must have some latent hipster tendencies:-$. I happen to think it would be "cool" to decorate one's house using entirely motel art.

Moderator note:
split from RTDNTOTO7

Last edited:

dw914er

Cyburbian
Irony on two levels? Even better. I wouldn't mind if my living environment was filled, say, with googie art. Would you?
I'd be happy with that (I actually really like googie stuff). An Art Deco/Streamline Moderne era theme would be pretty cool as well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I like PBR, therefore, I am hipster.
While you sit there in my naugahide chair sipping your PBR, I would ask that you please use the Sinclair Oil coasters, and crush out your Lucky Strikes cigarettes in the bakelite ashtray next to you.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Might I suggest a home made shelving unit displaying your vintage record collection? Heck, you could even tack the records to the wall as long you prominently display your more obscure collection items.

Always have Useful Chamber by Dirty Projectors playing in the background (in an endless loop). Hipsters will literally flock to your house from every direction.

I think pretty soon hipster culture will end up rejecting PBR because it is so identifiable as a "hipster" beverage. Keep in mind, the true hipster would NEVER label his/herself as an actual hipster. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a resurgance of Hamm's (followed by a resurgance of "Hamm's and Gams" parties).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Buffalonians seem to ceaselessly proclaim how authentic, genuine, and real they and all aspects of their hometown are, compared to the plastic, sanitized and overly polished world that surrounds them. It's now even part of their tourism marketing campaign. Could Buffalonians be the original hipsters?

[youtube]JNYue0Os55A[/youtube]

dw914er

Cyburbian
Might I suggest a home made shelving unit displaying your vintage record collection? Heck, you could even tack the records to the wall as long you prominently display your more obscure collection items.

Always have Useful Chamber by Dirty Projectors playing in the background (in an endless loop). Hipsters will literally flock to your house from every direction.

I think pretty soon hipster culture will end up rejecting PBR because it is so identifiable as a "hipster" beverage. Keep in mind, the true hipster would NEVER label his/herself as an actual hipster. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a resurgance of Hamm's (followed by a resurgance of "Hamm's and Gams" parties).
The record collection should also include different covers for the same album (I.e. stuff like Blind Faith's self titled album and it's two covers).

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
How do you know if you are a hipster?

I think we need a check list, possibly a diagram. "You might be a hipster if...."

btrage

Cyburbian

I was at the regional supermarket chain during lunch, and came across a 24-pack of Hamm's $9.99. I can't remember the last time I've actually seen Hamm's.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Why did the hipster burn his mouth on pizza?

He took a bite before it was cool. :lmao:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I was at the regional supermarket chain during lunch, and came across a 24-pack of Hamm's $9.99. I can't remember the last time I've actually seen Hamm's.
Oh man, after work I am SO going to have to throw on my "I used to like this tee shirt before it went mainstream' tee, Wrangler jeans, pork pie hat, and head over to the regional supermarket chain to pick up a few cases!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Oh man, after work I am SO going to have to throw on my "I used to like this tee shirt before it went mainstream' tee, Wrangler jeans, pork pie hat, and head over to the regional supermarket chain to pick up a few cases!
Are you going to ride your fixie?

biscuit

Cyburbian
I think pretty soon hipster culture will end up rejecting PBR because it is so identifiable as a "hipster" beverage. Keep in mind, the true hipster would NEVER label his/herself as an actual hipster.
Already happened. The real ones are home-brewing, or actually home distilling for real hipster cred. The cheap beer du jour at the ironic beard and bad 18th century merchant marine inspired tattoo infested bars of this city is of course a recently resurrected local label that hasn't been around in decades. Over the years I've watched the hipsters move in and gentrify block after block of neighborhoods by opening galleries, micro-breweries, and locavore restaurants that may only feature one animal; It's been an organic revitalization of great old neighborhoods and added some much needed vibrancy to this often staid city. However, if the Washington Post is correct we are supposed to prepare ourselves for the hipster hordes who will swarm in and turn the nice thing they have going into another running joke worthy of an ironic sketch show on IFC.

Portlandia, Your 15 Minutes are up, Long Live Pittsburgh!
I hope we're better prepared for this than we were with the zombie hordes.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I must have some latent hipster tendencies:-$. I happen to think it would be "cool" to decorate one's house using entirely motel art.

Moderator note:
split from RTDNTOTO7
Really? Were you ever in a Holiday Inn or a Howard Johnson's in the '60's or '70's? :-c

Now, if it was an indie motel in the Florida Keys back then, yeah, I'd go for that motif.

Or maybe I read this wrong and you meant art of motels, rather than art hanging in motels?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The record collection should also include different covers for the same album (I.e. stuff like Blind Faith's self titled album and it's two covers).
I actually had both of those framed and on display on the wall of my den before my recent remodel. :-o The other vinyl I had up on the wall: Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart, #1 Record by Big Star, Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, and Soft Bulletin from the Flaming Lips. Oh, to go along with that Flaming Lips album, I also had a couple framed and signed Wayne Coyne lithographs. The album covers are down, replaced by framed Audubon Society prints culled from a local thrift shop, but I still have a piece of the Coyne artwork up.

Some other hipster tendencies:

• I bowl on a league at America's oldest bowling alley in the heart of Detroit - how authentic is that?
  • Meg White frequently acts as a substitute bowler on our league
  • One of my best friends called me crying the day Elliott Smith died
  • I'm on a first name basis with the staff of a local record shop - it's nice to get a phone call when the new Antony & The Johnsons or Mountain Goats album is available
  • One of my most frequently worn items of clothing is a tweed sportcoat... and I'm under 70 years old
  • I was at the last Guided by Voices live show (before they got back together last year)
  • I've been wearing Alden boots and LL Bean before it was cool again

Those are just the habits I am aware of, an outside observer could probably pinpoint more.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
According to several on-line quizes - I am NOT a hipster, but you knew that.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
According to several on-line quizes - I am NOT a hipster, but you knew that.
Anybody else see Ben Roethlisberger wearing his hipster hat in his post game interview?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Genny tries subtle marketing towards hipsters by returning to ironic, retro packaging.

Sorry, but Sixpoint seems to be the hipster beer of choice around here.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Listening to the local radio this weekend they reffered to weezer as the original hipster band.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I actually had both of those framed and on display on the wall of my den before my recent remodel. :-o The other vinyl I had up on the wall: Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart, #1 Record by Big Star, Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, and Soft Bulletin from the Flaming Lips. Oh, to go along with that Flaming Lips album, I also had a couple framed and signed Wayne Coyne lithographs. The album covers are down, replaced by framed Audubon Society prints culled from a local thrift shop, but I still have a piece of the Coyne artwork up.

Those are just the habits I am aware of, an outside observer could probably pinpoint more.
Aside from the hipster relevance, that's pretty awesome!

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Hipsters in MA love extreme high gravity IPAs from northern CA. They're not into local New England beers, not enough hops/ IBU content for them. I don't know how they afford to drink so many $6 dollar pints though.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Hipsters in MA love extreme high gravity IPAs from northern CA. They're not into local New England beers, not enough hops/ IBU content for them. I don't know how they afford to drink so many $6 dollar pints though.
Mommy & Daddy?

btrage

Cyburbian
Does wearing skinny jeans automatically mean you'er a hipster if you're a guy?