• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Unleashing your inner hipster

DVD

Cyburbian
I must be more hipster than everyone and start a chicken rescue.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
It's time to stop this fowlishness. Chickens of the city, unite and overthrow your hipster overlords!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
City chickens are so 2011. Real hipsters have moved on to capybaras. You probably haven't heard of them.

[youtube]6AW5W9HuB1M[/youtube]

DVD

Cyburbian
City chickens are so 2011. Real hipsters have moved on to capybaras. You probably haven't heard of them.
I know all about capybaras because one of my favorite cartoons, The Tick. They happen to be the world's largest rodent. Way to go Speak! (The Tick's capybara)

kjel

Super Moderator
I can understand the article. I have some friends that have backyard chickens but they are more of a pet than anything else.

My partner's parents have a campo in the Dominican Republic. They have a rooster and about 5-6 hens. We eat the eggs, if there are chicks that hatch some are kept and some are sold, once a hen stops laying it becomes dinner.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation

[youtube]6AW5W9HuB1M[/youtube]
The owner of a capybara in the town I work for was features on the TLC reality show "My Crazy Obcession."

It was actually a really unfair portrayal of the owners--the show made them look batshitcrazy when they are actually fairly normal. They treat it like most would treat a family dog and it is trained like a family dog.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I think the baby skunk in my avatar is kinda cute, just like me. :) ;-) I think I smell better than the lil' stinker too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Genny tries subtle marketing towards hipsters by returning to ironic, retro packaging.

Anyone else see Coors rolling out their retro 'Banquet' beer bottles in their market? They've made their appearance here recently.

DVD

Cyburbian
Not only is it marketing towards hipsters, but for rednecks as well. They know your used to metal cans, this is just like that, but it's a "glass can"

btrage

Cyburbian
Everybody knows detroit has major problems: Crime, depopulation, failing schools, a sh!tty pro football team, bankruptcy, HIPSTERS!

Something similar to this happened in a gentrifying neighborhood a few years ago in Grand Rapids. Graffiti, threatening letters. But this one also included arson. The FBI was even called in based on the language in the letters. To my knowledge, no one was ever apprehended.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/02/police_fbi_investigate_letters.html

Planit

Cyburbian
Back in high school our go to beer was Miller High Life. It was really special if we could get away with finding Lone Star.

Goodness, I've learned so much since then.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Back in high school our go to beer was Miller High Life. It was really special if we could get away with finding Lone Star.
Oddly enough, I have some Miller High Life in my fridge at the moment, and the last beer I bought in a bar was a Lone Star (because at my local bar here in Texas, it's the cheapest beer they offer).

There's another beer that I would throw in that group of nostalgia beers, even though I never heard of it growing up: Modelo. It's like Mexican High Life and is also usually pretty cheap around here.

I thought for sure this thread was resurrected to post this article which has made the rounds lately: Man Inadvertently Proves That Hipsters Look Alike By Mistaking Photo As Himself.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Oddly enough, I have some Miller High Life in my fridge at the moment, and the last beer I bought in a bar was a Lone Star (because at my local bar here in Texas, it's the cheapest beer they offer).

There's another beer that I would throw in that group of nostalgia beers, even though I never heard of it growing up: Modelo. It's like Mexican High Life and is also usually pretty cheap around here.
Yeah, I noticed you frequently see cans of Modelo floating around on BBQ Pit Boys videos. Aren't they from around Texas?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The dive bar type taco place I occasionally go to for lunch has two beers on tap: Modelo and a local Mexican-style lager called el Ligero. I tried the Modelo once, that was enough. (FWIW, the el Ligero isn't much better).

DVD

Cyburbian
Modelo Negra is better, but in the world of Mexican beers I stick with Dos Equis and Corona.

Planit

Cyburbian
At the local Mexican place we frequent, my friend & I order either Dos Equis Grande or Negra Modelo Grande.

A couple of frosty 32 oz mugs arrives at our table with haste.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
This Volvo 240 driving, Canada emegrating, tight jean and cardigan wearing, Non Profit grey side workin’, NYC reared resident Millennial Punk Hipster of Cyburbia always has 1-3 cans of the following beers on deck at any given time.

SHAEFER
GENNY CREAM (Rochester Represent!)
NATTY BO
Ballantine Ale
Narragansset
PBR (at the very bottom)

Midwestern working class turned hipster beers I wish I could find in easier NYC:

Strohs
Blatz
Old Style
Schlitz
Piels

mercdude

Cyburbian
I've been accusing others of being hipsters long before you even heard of the term
Yes interesting divide: older (pioneering) hipsters are disgusted at the recent co-optation of the guiding principles which weren't a clothing uniform as much as a way of thinking. Now that corporations have gotten wise, it's become all style and no substance ... the latest fashion more than craftsmanship, etc (J. Bieber anyone?). Hence why you never call a pioneer hipster a "hipster" - you're likely to be punched in the face. :ha:

It's all kinda self-righteous malarkey in my book, but I do appreciate a new focus on artistry even if it's so damn pretentious that I want to vomit. BTW did no one realize that the hipster-ethos is really just a re-envisioning of the mid 00s indie scene?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A confession: I own the following:

1) Mechanical keyboards -- A couple of IBM Model Ms I've had before MKs became cool (very hipster), a couple of vintage keyboards with Alps switches (also before MKs became cool), and a couple of newer keyboards, with Cherry brown and blue switches. They just accumulated through the years. I want to sell a couple of them, to free up space.

2) Fountain pens -- losing count, but the collection includes Lamy Safaris and Al-Stars, TWSBI Ecos, Pilot Metropolitans/MRs, Wing Sung 618s and 698s, and a new Platinum Procyon. Vintage -- pens from Parker, Shaffer, and Esterbrook. I may have to get rid of a few that "don't bring me joy". I don't even consider myself a fountain pen fanatic -- it's just one of the few ways a man can accessorize, like with watches.

3) A couple of Apple Macbook Pros (one from 2008, one newer), and an iPhone 8.

4) A pair of jeans with selvedge denim.

No sour beers in the pantry. Not a fan.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Midwestern working class turned hipster beers I wish I could find in easier NYC:

Strohs
Blatz
Old Style
Schlitz
Piels
Good like finding Piels. If you do, it's probably past its "drink by" date. Piels was a Brooklyn/east coast brewer.
In the 1970s, F. & M. Schaefer Brewing Company, another Brooklyn based brewer, bought the rights to the Piel Brothers label, and Schaefer continued to brew it at its Brooklyn and Allentown, Pennsylvania, plants. In the late 1980s, Schaefer was subsequently bought out by Stroh Brewery Company of Detroit, Michigan. Under Stroh, Piels' sales stabilized for a time, thanks to new and improved package designs and good point of sale advertising. However, Stroh succumbed to marketing pressure from industry giants Anheuser-Busch and Miller, and threw in the towel after 149 years in business. Most of the Stroh brands, including Piels, were licensed to Pabst Brewing Company. Pabst discontinued the Piels label by April 2015.
That was my dad's go-to beer for years. I can remember him paying $3.99 for a case of 24 long necks at the discount beverage place. I also remember he used to buy us candy cigarettes there. Ah, the good old days.

el Guapo

Professor Emeritus of Cyburbian Studies
This Volvo 240 driving, Canada emegrating, tight jean and cardigan wearing, Non Profit grey side workin’, NYC reared resident Millennial Punk Hipster of Cyburbia always has 1-3 cans of the following beers on deck at any given time.

SHAEFER
GENNY CREAM (Rochester Represent!)
NATTY BO
Ballantine Ale
Narragansset
PBR (at the very bottom)

Strohs
Blatz
Old Style
Schlitz
Piels
Oh yeah, Mr. Terminator? What is your go-to gluten free beard wax? And how many nineteenth century Wade & Butcher straight razors have you rescued from the bourgeois and then fostered until you found just the right artesian barbers collective? Well?

EDIT: I'm not really calling you out personally. I respect the 240. Just stereotyping for fun.

Last edited: