• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Up your (my) Fashion Game

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I had to pick up a new suit a few weeks ago as a replacement for a 10-year-old one that was well past its expiration date. As I was looking at options and designs, the pictures of different options broadcasted a much bigger message to me… “You need to up for fashion game” It wasn’t subtle either. It was as if the pictures could see me wearing an old worn out Tigers shirt and khaki cargo shorts telling me that my clothing options were in dire need of a fire barrel and a match. As if the options were not enough to cause anxiety, some of what was being presented made me cringe. It was as if a blind clown was finger painting after too many shots of tequila. One selection had a pink short-sleeve button up shirt adorned with lines of blue flamingos, paired with yellow shorts with a brown duck patch on one leg. Sure, it might work with the fisher price crowd, but I would get beat up if that was my attire, even if at the local raised pinkie coffee establishment. I am quite sure that there would be forcefield level protection preventing even getting close to a sports bar wearing something like that.

I am starting to wonder if high fashion is the emo version of the clothing world, where they will go out of their way to be counterculture, until it becomes popular, then they hate themselves for becoming the trend. Personally, I would rather stick with something a bit less… loud.

Which brings me to the question… if you were to update your wardrobe with things that had a bit more acceptable fashion, how would you go about picking out those items? Would you wander into a J-Crew store, stand in the widest isle, put your arms out and proclaim “DRESS ME”, or would it be more along the lines of pulling the clothing selections off the mannequins at WalMart?

Furthermore, for dress shirts, do you have them tailored to fit your body… or is that just ridiculous and you ignore the marshmallow level poof that accumulates on your lower back every time you get out of a chair?.

If I wanted to up my fashion game without looking like a cast member of a Disney Junior cartoon, where would you suggest that I start?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmm... I would send you to Brooks Brothers for their dress casual things for work, and yeah, maybe J Crew or Banana Republic for the weekend

you could up the game and go retro-euro-trash and get more stylized like this guy:

euro trash guy.jpg

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I signed up for a clothing service. I use StitchFix - and I love it.

I get a box with things picked just for me. Yes, there was a very in-depth survey about my color preferences, style (such as do I prefer high rise or low rise jeans, button-downs or over the head tops, work or casual), and I can tell them things I don't want them to send (like shoes - since my second foot surgery, I only buy shoes in person because I have to try them on) or jewelry. Then you also take visual style quizzes - a simple thumbs up or down on an outfit. And I'm willing to try new designers.

I have several pants and lots of tops I've purchased through them. I've also sent back things. Sometimes it's the fit, sometimes the color, only once was there an item in the box that I wouldn't even try on due to style. I get to try it all on at home, so no store dressing rooms. And the items you don't buy are easy and free to return.

It's not an immediate solution to needing new clothes. But if you're willing to try some new stuff, and are looking for a transition into new things, it works. I like it, and hey - we both get a discount on our next (your first) box if you tell them I referred you.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
You could also start by not wearing cargo shorts.

Seriously though. Like was said, Brooks Bros. is great as is Jos. Bank. If you're talking casual nothing wrong with a decent t shirt but cargo shorts should go away. There are better options. Do you have that many pockets when you go to work? Exactly.

DVD

Cyburbian
But pants are my nemesis and cargo shorts are awesome. What if I think I need enough pockets to carry enough weight that my shorts fall down on their own.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
To add some more - I think it's cool to go for a look and stick with it as your schtick, like Steve Jobs' black turleneck

I switched out my wardrobe over the last 20 years to dresses only, even for hiking and stuff - my wardrobe is easy, my closet isn't a mess and it's simple to get ready for work everyday which is important!

kms

Cyburbian
To add some more - I think it's cool to go for a look and stick with it as your schtick, like Steve Jobs' black turleneck

I switched out my wardrobe over the last 20 years to dresses only, even for hiking and stuff - my wardrobe is easy, my closet isn't a mess and it's simple to get ready for work everyday which is important!
And we all know that I covet lp's wardrobe.

I wear dresses most of the time.

kms

Cyburbian
There's your answer, Mskis - apparently you need to switch to wearing dresses.
I stand by my admiration of kilts. Incorporate some kilts into your attire. Surely your clan has a tartan.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
But pants are my nemesis and cargo shorts are awesome. What if I think I need enough pockets to carry enough weight that my shorts fall down on their own.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I think a lot of it depends on your budget and how much variety you want. What both CCG and I do is have one or two stores where we know the quality and how they fit. So I keep an eye on those and when there are good sales, I'll purchase a few things. CCG only wore Walmart jeans and tshirts prior to getting married. He now has a variety of both long and short-sleeved button-ups and a few pairs of nice, non-cargo shorts. He also has a few pairs of jeans that are not Walmart relaxed fit.

I would splurge on high-quality basics that will last a long time (a few pairs of dress pants in various colors, some jackets) and then for other items (t-shirts, shorts, maybe even dress shirts), you can look for less expensive options that you may have to replace more often, but you can have a little more fun with different patterns and cuts. I have good luck with J. Crew Factory for CCG - they have sales constantly, and it's an inexpensive way for him to experiment with different types of clothes than he would normally try.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Kohl's is my go to for cost effective good variety professional work dress clothes and also casual clothes too.

As for your 'style', I think you're a straight shooter type, so you should stick to brown or black dress shoes, blue spectrum for dress shirts and black and dark gray pants/suit coats combos.

For everyday, get some flat front men's shorts and simple polos or nicer t-shirts.

I would avoid white tennis shoes with calf socks. In summer, I generally do my close-toed sandals or 'vans' type cloth sneakers with 'crazy' dress socks loose around ankles (socks so I don't smell up my shoes too bad/quickly)....or this. o_O

Here's a good read - Good opinion regarding men and socks with shorts

Last edited: