• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Upcoming Conferences

Queen B

Cyburbian
Is anyone out there planning on attending any good conferences.
What is available?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Not real particular.
Central US would be lcoal enough,
Just wanted to see what people are doing to further their education or where they are going to have a good time.

nerudite

Cyburbian
There are two conferences listed in the Kiosk right now:

Urban Convergence 2003 -- St. Louis October 3-5

Urban Sustainability Conference -- Edmonton September 9-10.

The sustainability conference is probably more important for Canadians. Although it will address sustainability as a practice, there will probably also be a lot of discussion of the new practice by the Federal Government of judging grants and funding applications based upon sustainability indices to be developed by each municipality.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Not real particular.
Central US would be lcoal enough,
Just wanted to see what people are doing to further their education or where they are going to have a good time.
You will definitely want to attend the Upper Midwest APA conference in Milwaukee in September. Having attended Upper Midwest conferences in all four of our member states (IA, IL, MN, WI), I can tell you that the Wisconsin folks always put on the best show. There's probably info on the WAPA website:

http://www.wisconsinplanners.org/

Enjoy!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I wish it was in September so I could go. It is in October and the same dates as a must attend conference in Des Moines for city finance officers.

tsc

Cyburbian
Historic River Towns of Westchester
7th Annual Conference

"Historic Preservation and Economic Development"
Explore the economic benefits of preserving a community's historic character.....etc..etc....

http://www.hudsonriver.com/rivertowns/welcome.html

Wednesday, September 17, 2003
Philipsburg Performing Arts Center
Yonkers, NY

8:30-4

Repo Man

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
You will definitely want to attend the Upper Midwest APA conference in Milwaukee in September. Having attended Upper Midwest conferences in all four of our member states (IA, IL, MN, WI), I can tell you that the Wisconsin folks always put on the best show. There's probably info on the WAPA website:

http://www.wisconsinplanners.org/

Enjoy!
The last one I was at was in Madison and it was great. Some very good sessions, and a great social schedule too, including a pub crawl.

Plus, there are some Milwaukeeans (myself included) on here that would probably take you to some cool places if the event planners fail to schedule any fun.

Hopefully I will be able to attend.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Hopefully EPA's National Brownfields Conference in Portland, OR October 27-29. Registration is free and the site has a link to a "schorolship program" which can help pay for travel and lodging.

If not, there's also the Southern New England APA conference Oct. 23-24 in Hartford.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Florida APA in September, at the Breakers in Palm Beach. Awesome resort. Wish my local gov't could afford to send me...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Pennsylvania Planners Association Annual Conference
Sept. 13-17 in Pittsburgh

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Hopefully EPA's National Brownfields Conference in Portland, OR October 27-29. Registration is free and the site has a link to a "schorolship program" which can help pay for travel and lodging.

If not, there's also the Southern New England APA conference Oct. 23-24 in Hartford.
Was there a deadline for the scholarship program? I did not see anything about it on the site.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I am certainly going to attend the Urban Convergence 2003 Conference in St. Louis, anyone want to meet me there?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Louisville Metro Community Based Emergency Response Program.
Sponsors: Louisville Metro Health Department, Louisville Metro Crisis Group, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Louisville, Kentucky: August 12-15; September 16-19; October 14-17, 2003.
http://www.health.co.jefferson.ky.us.

giovannitp

Cyburbian
Urban Convergence

I just registered for the Urban Convergence conference in STL. Anybody else going? It sounds like it'll be good, plus it doesn't cost too much (even for us college students.)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm planning on registering for the New Partners for Smart Growth conference in Portland, end of January.

I *cough* attended last years conference in New Orleans. It was a good time errrr conference.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Ill be at:

ULI Workshop
Basic Real Estate Development
Washington, D.C.
October 16–17, 2003

http://planet.uli.org/events/510104/510104_fst.htm
Ooooh. I am very jealous. ULI is such an outstanding organization that I am sure this is an excellent course. The location could be better, though. ;)

I just returned from the IEDC Annual Conference in Cincinnati. Next year it will be in Saint Louis. I also intend to go to the APA conference next year. Right now I need to make a choice between my first NDC course in Denver in December, or going to Cuba in January.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Cardinal - if you havent attended NDC before I highly recommend it. I'm sending Prudence to the Real Estate Finance course in Atlanta Oct 20-24.
I took IEDC's (CUED's) real estate redevelopment course, which was mostly instructed by NDC staff. It was excellent. I'm paying for this one though, so I have to decide if it will be NDC or Cuba - I can't afford both. Cuba may be getting more difficult to visit in the future.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I just returned from the IEDC Annual Conference in Cincinnati.
How was the IEDC conference? Highlights? Any interesting speakers or seminars? I'd like to hear about it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
How was the IEDC conference? Highlights? Any interesting speakers or seminars? I'd like to hear about it.
This is my second IEDC conference. The sessions in Oakland last year were better, but Cincinnati was a much more interesting location (excepting San Fran, since the conference was on the other side of the bay).

IEDC's particular advantage is the opportunity it provides to network among professionals out-of-state, and to talk with some of the key site selection consultants. The best sessions were an open discussion of site selection data standards, in which several of the consultants participated, and a session on retail development.

Kathie_WE

Cyburbian
Not exactly Central US but if anyone is interested....

MD - DE Regional Planning Conference, Extending Connections: From Pasture to Pavement will be held Oct 16 - 18 in Rock Gap, MD. Rocky Gap is in the mountains is in the western part of the state and is a beautiful location for a fall confernce. Check out http://www.marylandapa.org/2003regconf.pdf for details.

CHEERS!

Kathie

Queen B

Cyburbian
Anybody going to the Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute Conference in Denver in October?