• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

urban design and terrorism

zenni

I am contemplating writing my Masters thesis about urban design in the age of terrorism. Can you assist me in identifying resources about this topic? Any personal thoughts about this?
thank you,
zenni

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Landscape Architecture has recently published some short articles on this topic.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Fire Engineering has done several features on this in the past year, you should check them out.

You may also want to check out "Building Construction for the Fire Service" by (first name?) Brannigan. I think it is in volume 4 now. This book was published long before 9-11 and is kinda like and "I told you so" if you know what I mean.

I would strongly recommend researching the fire service as opposed to any planning related agencies, they are alot better informed when it comes to terrorism, terrorism response, etc and your just not going to get that kind of info from a landscape architect, planner, etc.

You could also back into your topic. There are plenty of resources on how to build a bomb, create terror, etc. Find a way for your design to defend against it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
I would strongly recommend researching the fire service as opposed to any planning related agencies, they are alot better informed when it comes to terrorism, terrorism response, etc and your just not going to get that kind of info from a landscape architect, planner, etc.
Do I detect a bias? ;)

Don't like Mike "hose" you. Landscape architecture has been dealing with security from a design perspective since Oklahoma City. Other fields also bring a perspective to it. Remember the discussions we have had here about New Urbanism and terrorism? I am also sure that there are federal guidelines on security measures. Keep your search broad until you narrow down the focus of the thesis.

peter lowitt

Contact the City of Arlington Virgina Planning Department and speak with Terry Holzhauer. He will inform you about how the government is ruining the city's urban design program through their new secret anti-terrorism building selection criteria which disallow mixed use, require separate segregated parking areas and encourage isolation of buildings from their context. Should be a great thesis.