• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Urban design education and professions

sdcaman2003

Hello all,
I hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography from the University of Vermont and am currently pursuing a Master of City Planning at San Diego State University. I have 7 years of experience in GIS, cartography, aerial imagery, and spatial analysis.

My interests lie in geography, sociology, urban design, regional planning, and architecture. To sum it up, I love the spatial layout and design of urban areas on a social and functional level. I am wondering if pursuing an additional Master of Urban Design degree OR a Master of Architecture would help to set a clear career path for myself in urban design and planning on the private consulting level. This of course would accompany internships and professional experience within the industry.

I am not interested in becoming a licensed and practicing architect, rather I would like to become a planner by trade who possesses the skills and knowledge to carry out urban design projects in the private sector. Any advice, personal experience, etc, are most valued and appreciated.

Also, what sorts of salaries for urban designers can be expected with several years of professional design and educational experience?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mod Note:

Please do not post identical threads in multiple forums, I've deleted the duplicate thread.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: thanks for the correction....

sdcaman2003 said:
But do you have any advice???

-Scott
No, I don't. I do not have any experience in the private sector, and anything I threw out here would be pure guessing and speculation. There are others here on Cyburbia that are in the private sector that can likely give you advice.

welcome, by the way. :b:

Mod Note #2: I merged your third duplicate thread. Please, respect the guidelines in the FAQ and Cyburbia Posting Rules

sdcaman2003

already a little disappointed

Thanks NH Planner for now correction #2...

Boy this thread is working out great, I think I'll go ahead and try another planning or architectural forum possibly...

I was hoping for some friendly advice and feedback, not tips on how to follow forum protocol and comments on my apparent cut and paste from some "cover letter"...

Not quite a welcome environment....

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: already a little disappointed

sdcaman2003 said:
Thanks NH Planner for now correction #2...

Boy this thread is working out great, I think I'll go ahead and try another planning or architectural forum possibly...

I was hoping for some friendly advice and feedback, not tips on how to follow forum protocol and comments on my apparent cut and paste from some "cover letter"...

Not quite a welcome environment....
I think that you'll find that the forums will be helpful. One thing that will not get you much response, however, is posting multiple threads that are identical.

If I had any advice to give you, I certainly would. There are several people here that work in the private sector, and do not post during the workday. Be patient, and I'm sure you'll find that people here are more than willing to help you out.

Re: Re: already a little disappointed

NHPlanner said:
I think that you'll find that the forums will be helpful. One thing that will not get you much response, however, is posting multiple threads that are identical.

B]

Or threatening to take "your business" elsewhere because you didn't get the response that you wanted. I'm sure the other forums have similar rules and protocol.

Salaries are discussed quite often in these forums and from what I've gathered, they all vary according to location. Do you intend to stay in CA or move elsewhere?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Advice ... I wish I had a magic formula to offer that would eventually lead you on the path to the perfect career in urban design. Unfortunately, I don't have it.

I would say that for your first real job, don't settle for something in development review. Planners who started off in development review, myself included, are more often than not typecast into the specialty, and it's very difficult to break out into comp planning, urban design, transportation or other areas.

Your first job will probably be with a local government agency, rather than a private planning/design firm. You'll probably have to look longer to find a job that doesn't involve development review; the majrity of entry level positions are in that specialty.

Education: there aren't many Master of Urban Design programs. Usually, you'll have a MUP with a specialty in urban design. You might want to pursue a MUP at a school that offers a strong, well-known urban design program. An urban design outreach center that is part of the department, like that at UB, is a plus.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hi Scott - a friendly welcome to you.

I can't offer much relevant advice to you as the situation in Australia re. Urban design is a bit different - it has largely been 'captured' by the Architects, though the Planners are making a comeback.

Good luck with your studies.

tsc

Cyburbian
Scott,
Have you considered Landscape Architecture......... find a school that focuses on the urban landscape. Syracuse University does.... it is at the State School. They have a great program and don't be fooled by the fact that is within the Environmental Science and Forestry School.... .. and an off-campus program that is really great.

www.esf.edu