• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Urban renewal as "intelligent cities"?

Hink

OH....IO
Interesting article in USA Today about Urban Renewal...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-28-cities28_ST_N.htm

Now that the economy and housing have tanked, prompting more people to stay put, growth is taking a back seat. But smarts still matter. The new buzzwords: "intelligent cities.
I haven't heard this phrase used, but I think it is a good marketing tool. People never liked "well regulated" cities....

Anyone else heard this?

Hmm first I have heard of it, but it makes sense with all the 'technology-related' city tools becoming available. I wish the article was a little more indepth about what intelligent cities are, its a bit lacking in substance.

I disagree with the bit the 15-20 cycle on planning terms, it really doesn't matter what we call it. What's with emphasis on symantics? I think more importantly we need to talk about the cycle on planning paradigms like design-based planned's 100 year cycle. Is that coming to an end? What is the next paradigm shift?