• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

"Urban Renewal"

Seabishop

Cyburbian
After hearing "Urban Renewal" used as an evil term for years I was surprised to come across it used by a city in the present tense. Most cities now talk about urban "revitalization" or "redevelopment," but in a document from a small MA city they mention their new "Urban Renewal District." The document mentioned re-use of old buildings etc., so it wasn't a new plan to demolish neighborhoods and build condo towers.

Is the term coming back after years of being politically incorrect?

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Personally, I think it's a matter of semantics. The terms are used interchangeably.
I agree. The terminology seems like it changes week-to-week in The Big Easy but without a change in its principle, which calls for revitalization and/or redevelopment.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Some statutes written during the heyday of "urban renewal" are still on the books and being actively used for good redevelopment. I wouldn't automatically assume that the term means a particular character of project, or that its use means that it is coming back into vogue. It may simply reference a statutory provision.