• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

"Urban Renewal"

After hearing "Urban Renewal" used as an evil term for years I was surprised to come across it used by a city in the present tense. Most cities now talk about urban "revitalization" or "redevelopment," but in a document from a small MA city they mention their new "Urban Renewal District." The document mentioned re-use of old buildings etc., so it wasn't a new plan to demolish neighborhoods and build condo towers.

Is the term coming back after years of being politically incorrect?

Planderella said:
Personally, I think it's a matter of semantics. The terms are used interchangeably.
I agree. The terminology seems like it changes week-to-week in The Big Easy but without a change in its principle, which calls for revitalization and/or redevelopment.

Some statutes written during the heyday of "urban renewal" are still on the books and being actively used for good redevelopment. I wouldn't automatically assume that the term means a particular character of project, or that its use means that it is coming back into vogue. It may simply reference a statutory provision.