• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Urban Sprawl in USSR

pandersen

Cyburbian
Was watching the news the other night and saw a story about rural areas outside Moscow being overrun by the soviet "nouveau rich" (some legit, some criminals).

Apparently during the good old communist days, poor Moscovites whould build cottages (datchas) in the woods and retreat to them on weekends. These days ,however, the new rich are displacing the poor and are building Monster Homes with no zoning and little concern for the environment.

Commets or observations?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Vast stretches of land, low population, probably nowhere near as bad for the environment as to have innefficient heavy industry with no control belching crap everywhere.

the building will be good for thier economy. People will have jobs, people will make money, new business will start. People with money will attract manufacturers, goods and services.

GOD DAMN BOUGUIOS BASTARDS! Bring back Joe Stalin to kill those upstarts!

Same old story, new place. It was bound to happen and probably needs to. Other places on the planet WANT to develop, and that is a good thing. Russia has a LOT of natural resources to use and sell, let them do it.

ecofem

Cyburbian
Geez. Sounds like some of the water-front historic districts in certain parts of Florida. (buy small historic home, displace the "locals", bulldoze historic home, build stucco nightmare)

That's the price of progress! ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Those damn pinkos threw away the five year plan and look what happens? CHAOS! This should be a lesson to you and your commrades.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'd like to see some of these houses. Housing in Russia was traditionally in large, Stalinist high-rises, and dachas tend to have a gingerbread or log cabin appearance. I wonder what modern Russian single family housing looks like, and what the sources for architectural inspiration are.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Let me answer my own question.

Many look like Europeanized Northeast US-style homes.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
These look like slightly-modified stock home plans. Frankly, a couple of them are not bad.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Not bad compared to american sprawl, but you can tell they're cheaply built. It's nice that most don't have front loaded garages though.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Small detail: The title of this thread be called "Urban Sprawl in Russia," not USSR. Of course, you knew that.

But back on topic, my only response is this, based on Dan's images: Seems like everyone wants to be like the capitalist Americans!

el Guapo

Capitalist
jordanb said:
Not bad compared to american sprawl, but you can tell they're cheaply built. It's nice that most don't have front loaded garages though.
Ok, how can you tell they are cheaply built from a photo? What in any of these photos says poor construction techniques? I'll spot you the first two homes that look like they may have a quality issues in the siding and the deck, but where do these photos scream "cheaply built"? What is cheaply built? Can you define the term?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Those are very interesting pictures, Dan.

Holy cow, I've got to visit Russia before the Americans and Canadians take over! I've always wanted to go.

The first photo looks like one of the single-family homes they built in the South Bronx post-urban renewal, only without a fenced yard. Interesting gated homes in the middle series of pictures - they look like something you'd see, well, here... in an upscale suburb outside a city with a lot of crime (midwesterners: what the heck is the name of that very affluent suburb outside Detroit??).

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Form my experience, the average Russian cannot afford the type of homes that thave been pictured.
What I'd like to know is, who can? Who are the Russians making the big bucks??

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
We recently had a group of planners visit from Novosgrod Russia. I did not know prior to this visit but only 5 cities in Russia have zoning. It started in 1998 when the US Dept of Commerce brought experts to several cities in Russia to teach them to use this land use tool. This group had come to Ohio to study how we implement zoning.

Why they/Dept of Commerce chose Ohio, I have not idea. However their questions were very interesting and they are finding zoning to be a helpful tool to control changes.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Its no surprise the Russians would like another way to control its citizenry. Talk about a new way to enforce zoning--stright to the Gulag you go!

green22

Cyburbian
russian sprawl

What a surprise that after Russians came to Ohio to learn how to implement zoning, sprawl was not far behind. Zoning (separation of uses) and plenty of vehicles are the basic ingredients for suburbs.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
No need to start a new thread when there's already an existing thread, green22. I'm merging this in.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
cowley.11 said:
Why they/Dept of Commerce chose Ohio, I have not idea.
They chose Ohio because of its international fame as the center of the world for Commie Planners and their demonic zoning theory!!!

And.....

Because you can sell your soul to the Devil at the Maumee crossroads (intersection of I-75 and I-90).

tsc

Cyburbian
the buildings aren't so bad.. but how about a little vegetation????