• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Use Control for Existing Neigborhood Corner Retail

boiker

Cyburbian
There is a plethora of non-conforming neighborhood corner commercial/office in Peoria that has been rezoned (for the last 30 years) as residential. This dramatically diminishes the marketability of the structures.

Are there any codes that address use changes for these type of structures that I could integrate into our code? Are there any cleaver ways of dealing with these structures....aside from rezoning or non-conforming use/structure approval process.

I was throwing the idea around of a special use w/ performance guidelines and/or established form requirements.

Any ideas?

Rionagh

boiker said:
There is a plethora of non-conforming neighborhood corner commercial/office in Peoria that has been rezoned (for the last 30 years) as residential. This dramatically diminishes the marketability of the structures.

Are there any codes that address use changes for these type of structures that I could integrate into our code? Are there any cleaver ways of dealing with these structures....aside from rezoning or non-conforming use/structure approval process.

I was throwing the idea around of a special use w/ performance guidelines and/or established form requirements.

Any ideas?

We dealt with this issue in Muskegon, MI and a few years ago added provisions to the ordinance that allowed this type of building (commercial but zoned residential, not already converted to a residential use) to be used for some limited commercial purposes as special uses. Specific language can be found at http://www.shorelinecity.com/community/Zoning/zoningord.asp - look at any of the residential districts and you'll see the same general language under Special Land Uses Permitted starting, "Previously existing or established commercial uses not already converted to a residential use may be authorized under Special Use Permit for the following..."

The special use option was used several times while I was there, and seems to be a good solution to allow some limited commercial use of these buildings, which would otherwise be sitting empty...

Deb

plannerkat

Cyburbian
We are struggling with this very issue. Unfortunately, our solution is a smattering of PUDs throughout older neighborhoods.

boiker

Cyburbian
Thanks for everyone's help. I fowarded the information to a tech unsavy senior planner. He's integrating the information into code that works for us.