• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

User titles take a temporary bye-bye

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm getting rid of the hierarchical user titles as an experiment. Instead of Intern, Planning Technician, Planner I, and so on, everyone is just a "member," or if they've got the responsibility, a "moderator." I got a lot of complaints about the hierarchy; folks who had more prestigous titles in their real world jobs wondered why they were called an "Intern." I also want to make the board a bit more user-friendly for "city geeks" who aren't necessarily planners or planning students.

Mary

*Sigh* ... I was looking forward to getting my on-line title above my real life one. I thought it was a wonderful way to get myself a promotion. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Like I said, it's temporary, to see what folks think, or if it helps increase participation or users. Originally, I had the title system set up to encourage posting, so a user could increase their rank. However, a few folks have said that it "stratifies" the forums.

The titles could come back, or I could permit custom titles is a user posts more than a certain number of messages, for instance. I could also implement some other form of perk, such as permitting graphics in signature files if a user posts so many messages.

boiker

Cyburbian
Dan Tasman wrote:

Like I said, it's temporary, to see what folks think, or if it helps increase participation or users. Originally, I had the title system set up to encourage posting, so a user could increase their rank. However, a few folks have said that it "stratifies" the forums.

The titles could come back, or I could permit custom titles is a user posts more than a certain number of messages, for instance. I could also implement some other form of perk, such as permitting graphics in signature files if a user posts so many messages.
Actually, I like the ability to increase your rank.

I've been on numerous msg boards built on this platform, and the more active you are, the more interesting your rank title becomes.

Instead of Intern, Planner I, etc....
You should use some humurous titles. Or just allow us to assign our own titles after so many posts.. like 50 posts or so.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I thought the titles were cute. But if the reading public thinks there is some status involved, drop them. I don't want this forum to become an 'AICP/FAICP/I'm better than you' thing.

adaptor

random title generator

What is needed is some way to counteract the status with humor -- letting us know who are frequent contirbutors without giving them a big head about it. If you could randomly combine levels like intern, senior and master with descriptions like unicyclist, pencil pusher or pedestrian we'd all have a new title every time. I've had meaningless titles before and no one was joking then.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, another experiment, to get the neophytes to post more.

You're a "member" up to 24 posts. If you post 25 messages or more, you can create your own user title. This privilege can be revoked at any time, though, if the "experiment" doesn't work,

Enjoy. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
boiker wrote:
i can't seem to get my new 'title' saved
Hmmm ... I tried changing my title for a bit from the regular user menu, and I didn't have any problems. Don't check "reset" -- just change it, and save.

Lemme' bold that for people who just read this thread ... . Don't check "reset" -- just change your title, and save.