• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Using Google: A Battle of Wits and Ideas

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
All in the name of dioxin, in mid-Michigan, there is a battle of wits between the Midland-based Dow Chemical Company, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and residents who live along the Tittabawassee River and in the City of Midland. I did a Google search this morning on "Tittabawassee" and found some interesting search results. Try it yourself. What's worth noting are the ads that show up on the right-hand side of the results page.

The first one is an ad for www [dot] dowmidmichigan.com, which is "Dow's Community Update" and says it aims to keep residents informed about the dioxin/furan situation. If you click the link, it redirects you to www [dot] dow.com/facilities/namerica/michigan.

The second ad is for the "Tittabawassee River Watch" at www [dot] trwnews.net. These folks are local activists who work to inform the public about dioxin exposure along the Tittabawassee River.

The third ad is for "Stueve Helder Siegel LLP" at www [dot] litigation-results.com and says, "Class action filed against Dow for Tittabawassee dioxin contamination."

Wow! Google has it all stacked out in front of you - the good guys, the bad guys, and the ambulance chasers! Drama!

What is surprising about all this is that I did a Google search last week for "Tittabawassee" and the only ad to show up was the Tittabawassee River Watch group. Seems like Dow was a little bit behind on the internet activism curve, but the giant company learns quick, huh?

What other Google battle of wits have you witnessed? And yes, I am familiar with the "miserable failure" search hijack for the White House. This one is different - these folks are paying Google to get their ideas out there.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sounds like the marketplace of ideas at work to me. Excepting the sleazy ambulance chaser/anti-tort reformer.

I must admit that when I google something, I don't view the accompanying ads, much as I turn past them without looking when I read the morning newspaper. I'll be interested to see what others have noted.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:

What other Google battle of wits have you witnessed? And yes, I am familiar with the "miserable failure" search hijack for the White House. This one is different - these folks are paying Google to get their ideas out there.

That sounds interesting, describe this one please, I missed it!. :)

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Gedunker said:
I must admit that when I google something, I don't view the accompanying ads, much as I turn past them without looking when I read the morning newspaper. I'll be interested to see what others have noted.
I know, I'm the same way. But when I googled "Tittabawassee" last week, I couldn't help but notice an ad for that activist website. I though that was weird. It's like googling something that's non-descript on the marketplace like "Monday" and you get ads for Red Bull and Starbucks. So, when I googled "Tittabawassee" again this morning, I was even more surpised to see the lawyer and Dow link.

[ot]
Duke Of Dystopia said:
That sounds interesting, describe this one please, I missed it!. :)
Go to Google, type in "miserable failure" and hit the "I'm feeling Lucky" button and you will go to www [dot] whitehouse.gov/president/gwbbio.html.[/ot]