• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Utility Pole Standards - Location, Size, Etc.

planner28

I am looking for standards that regulate the size and location of utility poles. Our ordinance requires the issuance of a right-of-way utilization permit; however, we do not have any standards nor do we require exact locations or specifications. Recently, several over-sized utility poles were installed (60' tall, up to 3'-5' in diameter at the base) within sidewalks, blocking access and in some cases causing visibility problems at intersections. We are looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and whether any standards exist in other municipalities.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Good question. I haven't seen anythng addressing utility pole specs in land use regulations; usually,it's "bury it all," if anything. Lemme' guess -- Florida Power is replacing some of their older, smaller wooden pole with metal monsters?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
When I worked on that end of things, the local utilty would always have to let us know what was going on. They were usually good with their locations though so I don't think we ever had any problems, except for road occupations during the rush hour.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We require all utilities in new subdivisions to be buried. That, of course, does not cover street reconstruction projects (our responsibility) or when a utility decides to upgrade or add to something existing. It is our right of way. If they want access to it, they must obtain a permit from public works.

Top Bottom