• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What school? UW-Milwaukee vs. SUNY Buffalo

Hey All, I know this is rather specific post so apologies if its not necessarily the norm, however i haven't seen a lot of info on either school while looking through this forum.

I'm looking to concentrate on economic development and GIS and as far as I can tell both schools appear to have interesting programs. Would any alumni be able to weigh in on how their time was at either school or speak to how it was living in either city?

For what its worth, cost would be roughly the same for me.

sonderfox

I managed to get into SUNY Buffalo's program for the fall, where I'll be specializing in environmental and land use planning. I would also like to hear from any alumni about the program.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Hi to you both, new folks, and welcome!

I'm a University at Buffalo alum and I loved my time there. I earned my BAED with a minor in Architecture and already had a AA degree so I only attended UB for two years. Honestly, I loved the programs, the school, and the City of Buffalo and only wished I would have found a job nearby so I could have stayed longer. The program gave a good overview of multiple facets of planning and prepared me to walk into a government Planning Office shortly after graduation (6 months-ish to find the right job). I liked the variety of professors in the program and, through the school, was able to procure three solid internships, two of which were paid.

I ended up doing my grad work elsewhere (UB didn't offer the program I chose) but I'd definitely recommend UB. There's a lot to love there in Buffalo!

Feel free to PM me for more specific questions if you'd like.